What's new

ASUS GT-AX11000 dropping out? How do I troubleshoot?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
I need help with creating a troubleshooting process. I am not knowledgeable enough to know to proceed.

I have an ASUS GT-AX11000 Router that seems to drop both WIFI and LAN connections. Over the past week or so the signal to the wired laptop goes in and out for a connection. Using my Windows 11 laptop, I can see the LAN connection change on and off. I have in the past powered the router on and off and the signal stabilized and then it would do it again a few days later.

Today I had it happen again, and I tried to ping the router from the Windows 11 laptop and there was no return. I then went to a second wired machine Windows 10 and pinged the router and no connection. I looked at the Internet light on the router and it was white (connected). At the same time various devices that track being off and on reported Wi-Fi loss.

This leads me to believe I have a router issue because both the LAN and WIFI cannot connect to the router and the internet light is on.

I do not know how to read the system log file. I was hoping it would indicate some problem.

Can anyone offer a direction I can pursue?

Upload the complete syslog (that includes the time period the problem occurred) to pastebin.com and post a link to it so we can take a look.

Thanks. That worked.

Can you remember approximately what day/time a problem occurred? I can see the router was rebooted four two times but I don't know which of those you did deliberately.

EDIT: Looking more carefully the router was rebooted two times but it was the WAN interface that was restarted four times.

Last edited:
Sorry...yes
1043 am then 407 pagain this morning
650 am
Dave
To be clear;

Are you saying the problem occurred on 17th at 10:43 and 18th at 06:50? And in both cases you just turned off the router and turned it on again?

It looks like you rebooted your cable modem on 17th at 16:07. Correct? If so, why?

On the 18th at 05:38 it appears someone logged into the router and made a change to the network configuration. Correct? And again, why?

I did not have a lan connection on 2 separate laptop wired directly to the router. After the reboot, the connections were restored. Also I saw where my wifi alarm went to backup at the same period.

To be clear;

Are you saying the problem occurred on 17th at 10:43 and 18th at 06:50? And in both cases you just turned off the router and turned it on again?

It looks like you rebooted your cable modem on 17th at 16:07. Correct? If so, why?

On the 18th at 05:38 it appears someone logged into the router and made a change to the network configuration. Correct? And again, why?
Hi...I am sorry for the delayed answers

I rebooted the modem because of no connection on the LAN directly out of the router.
I do not know a way to reconnect without a reboot.

Chnages where made because I contacted ASUS and they told me to make chnages to the 2.4 and 5 settings. I asked how does the effect the wired side and they siad it did. I do not know enough to question the process.

In some case I have rebooted the Modem trying to troubleshoot if it is the ISP or the router or me.

So...question:
If I cannot ping the router, I assume that is a connection issue, correct?

I am testing using 2 separate laptops Win 10 and Win 11 directly to the router (wired)

THANK YOU FOR STAYING WITH ME

It would be helpful if you answered the questions in post #9.
I do not know how to get the router connected to the network, or better way, I do not know how to re-establish a connection to the router from a device without rebooting.
All suggestions would be very helpful
Dave

I rebooted the modem because of no connection on the LAN directly out of the router.
I do not know a way to reconnect without a reboot.
:
In some case I have rebooted the Modem trying to troubleshoot if it is the ISP or the router or me.
So what did your troubleshooting reveal. Did rebooting the modem but not the router result in the connectivity coming back?

So what did your troubleshooting reveal. Did rebooting the modem but not the router result in the connectivity coming back?
Good question.
I did them both. I find the router if not rebooted in sequence with the modem does not connect immeditaely.
So What I hope to get from you is next time:
Do these steps and check in the following order?

Another thing I am not doing in an organized fashion is test wifi if the LAN is not connected.
Does the file show any reason the router is not connected into my network?

Dave

Last edited:
I cant answer that because I got too fast trying to reestablish the network. Presently it is up. I will not be typing if it was not.
So what steps do I take to check what is failing?

Does the file show any reason the router is not connected into my network?
No, there is nothing to suggest your Ethernet connected devices lost their connection.

WiFi looks OK also but bear in mind that it's quite common to have WiFi issues when using roaming and multiple access points. So don't automatically assume any WiFi disconnections you see are related to this problem.

If I cannot ping the router, I assume that is a connection issue, correct?

I am testing using 2 separate laptops Win 10 and Win 11 directly to the router (wired)
You should still be able to ping the router by its IP address, e.g. ping 192.168.1.9.

Am I correct in thinking that your router's IP address is 192.168.1.9 and not the more normal 192.168.1.1?

Yes, I am using 192.168.1.9 for the router.
BUT...correct me...there are 2 issues with the most fundamental being I cannot ping from 2 different wired connections directly to router [ports. I should be able to ping that even if there is a wifi issue and\or there is an internet issue. I should be able to ping the router on a wired connection, correct?

BUT...correct me...there are 2 issues with the most fundamental being I cannot ping from 2 different wired connections directly to router [ports. I should be able to ping that even if there is a wifi issue and\or there is an internet issue. I should be able to ping the router on a wired connection, correct?
Correct.

What other network devices do you have connected to the router, and how are they connected? e.g. switches, AiMesh nodes, repeaters, etc.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!