What's new

Asus GT-AX11000 - recommendation preferences Wifi

• Thread starter Deleted member 78279
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 78279

Hi forum,

first: my english is not the best, sorry for that.

Behind the Fritz!Box 6591 Cable for my internet is an Asus GT-AX11000.

Here is the full device list:
Device List.png

And now i have make screenshots from the current settings on 2,4 GHz an 5 GHz (the second 5 GHz is disabled)
Settings 2,4 GHz General.png
Settings 2,4 GHz Professional.png

Settings 5 GHz General.png
Settings 5 GHz Professional.png

The question is: are these settings for the devices the best? I have noticed, that my smartphone (S21 Ultra) sometimes lose the internet connection and on the Smart TV i have sometimes picture artifacts if i watch over the Fire TV Stick. I wont to be sure, that these settings are all fine.

Thanks for reading and all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I would change the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel to 1, 5, 9 or 13, as 8 is an overlapping channel, so if you have nearby neighbours you could be fighting a bit extra with them like this. Use a Wi-Fi scanner on your smartphone to see which channel has the least interference from neighbouring networks. You can also do this for the 5GHz band, but as the range is shorter, you normally don't have the same kind of potential interference issues.

You can enable Bluetooth coexistence, as it it reduces interference with Bluetooth devices, such as your Fire TV Sticks remote. It's not magic, but it can help.

Otherwise I don't see anything specific worth mentioning.

Last edited:
Use Dual Band SmartConnect
2.4 GHz on channel 1, 6 or 11 @ 20 MHz
5 GHz on channel 36 @160 MHz
Use WPA2/WPA3-Personal
Leave Professional settings at default but disable Airtime Fairness
Disable WPS if not using AiMesh

Use Dual Band SmartConnect
2.4 GHz on channel 1, 6 or 11 @ 20 MHz
5 GHz on channel 36 @160 MHz
Use WPA2/WPA3-Personal
Leave Professional settings at default but disable Airtime Fairness
Disable WPS if not using AiMesh
Based on his Fritz!Box, he lives in Europe, so the Wi-Fi channels I suggested are the correct ones.
Why would any sane person use the dual band smartconnect crap? Imho it's a useless feature that just makes your router arbitrarily move your devices to the slower band.
What's the benefit of using a 160MHz on 5GHz for most devices? Admittedly this is an 802.11ax router, so it might serve some purpose.

Last edited:
Based on his Fritz!Box, he lives in Europe, so the Wi-Fi channels I suggested are the correct ones.
Why would any sane person use the dual band smartconnect crap? Imho it's a useless feature that just makes your router arbitrarily move your devices to the slower band.
And why would you disable airtime fairness unless you live in a house on the countryside without neighbours? That's just rude.
What's the benefit of using a 160MHz on 5GHz for most devices? Admittedly this is an 802.11ax router, but even so.
I feel very ignorant asking this, but how does airtime fairness affect your neighbors’ networks? I must not understand how it works like I thought I did.

One good reason to use Dual Band Smart Connect is RADAR bounce. With the use of a 160 MHz 5 GHz setting you will get into DFS channels wherever you live (and if you have 160 GHz why not use it?). If RADAR bounces the 5 GHz the clients will switch to the 2.4 GHz and keep humping along although at a lower bandwidth.
My experience with Dual Band Smart connect is quite positive! I have been running it since my AC86U. And that is why I recommend it as well as the WPA2/WPA3 setting (you will not get WIFI6 without WPA3). A couple of my old clients do not like the WPA2/WPA3 so I set up a Guest WIFI with WPA2 just for them. Old and new clients are very happy! And if you happen to have an Asus AC device that supports AiMesh it will need to connect via WPA2.

One good reason to use Dual Band Smart Connect is RADAR bounce. With the use of a 160 MHz 5 GHz setting you will get into DFS channels wherever you live (and if you have 160 GHz why not use it?). If RADAR bounces the 5 GHz the clients will switch to the 2.4 GHz and keep humping along although at a lower bandwidth.
My experience with Dual Band Smart connect is quite positive! I have been running it since my AC86U. And that is why I recommend it as well as the WPA2/WPA3 setting (you will not get WIFI6 without WPA3). A couple of my old clients do not like the WPA2/WPA3 so I set up a Guest WIFI with WPA2 just for them. Old and new clients are very happy! And if you happen to have an Asus AC device that supports AiMesh it will need to connect via WPA2.
Fair enough, valid reason.

Thank you guys for all the answers.
So, i have enable the Bluetooth Coexistence and change the channel on 2,4 GHz to 9.
On both frequencies i have changed the authentification method to WPA2/WPA3 Personal. I hope, is this the best in my case. Does the device use the best method automatically or how does this option works?
On 5GHz i have disabled the 160 MHz option, because i don't want to use DFS Channels. Thank you for this hint.
Hm, i am confused. My S21 Ultra shows me, that i use Wifi 6, but as you can see in my previous settings i haven't set WPA2/WPA3 Personal or only WPA3 Personal as an option.

Not all devices support WPA3, as pointed out, so if they don't, they'll use WPA2. It's not about best here, as it's more of a potential security risk, with WPA3 being harder to hack than WPA2 and in turn WPA and WEP.
WPA3 technically only works with newer devices, as it generally requires hardware support, so if you have an old 802.11n device, it's not likely it'll ever get support for WPA3, so it'll continue to use WPA2 or not be able to connect to the router/AP.

Sorry guys,

but i have an another question: is this normal, that the download speed is much lower when i have disabled the 160 MHz option?
Without enabled 160 MHz i get round about 550 Mbps and with enabled 900 Mbps.
I have noticed this, if i played arround with this setting. Can i somehow improve the download speed (with enabling the 160 MHz Option) or is that impossible?

Sorry Guys,

but i have an another Question: is this normal, that the Download Speed is much lower when i have disabled the 160 MHz Option?
Without enabled 160 MHz i get round about 550 Mbps and with enabled 900 Mbps.
I have noticed this, if i played arround with this setting. Can i somehow improve the Download Speed (with enabling the 160 MHz Option) or is that impossible?
What client devices do you have? As it depends largely on them.

What client devices do you have? As it depends largely on them.
You can see the devices in the first post.
But i have make speedtests on my S21 Ultra and i have noticed the differences on the speed.

You can see the Devices in the first Post.
But i have make Speedtests on my S21 Ultra and i have noticed the Differences on the Speed.
Right, sorry, I should've been more specific, as it was about what clients you were testing with.
That phone should be the International SKU, so I have no idea what Wi-Fi chip Samsung is using, which makes it tricky to figure out what the issue could be.
Does the device with the Intel Wi-Fi behave in the same way?

The device with the Intel Wi-Fi (this is my laptop) has better results with the same settings. The chip is the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200.
The S21 Ultra has the BCM4389-Chip from the company Broadcom.

The Device with the Intel Wi-Fi (this is my Laptop) has better results with the same settings. The Chip is the Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200.
The S21 Ultra has the BCM4389-Chip from the Company Broadcom.
Apparently some of the latest generation of Wi-Fi chips in phones allow you to connect to multiple bands at once and apparently the one in your phone should allow for that, in fact, Broadcom claim to support 2.4, 5 and 6GHz at once. No idea how you would go around connecting to three bands at once though, but it looks like there's an "Application note" under Documentation on the page below that explains how.

The client device simply bridges/bonds the two or three connections and presents them to the OS as a single point.

I don't see this as a benefit (yet) given the performance we can get from mere AX class routers. But gamers will fall all over themselves to think they have a better connection than wired.

The client device simply bridges/bonds the two or three connections and presents them to the OS as a single point.

I don't see this as a benefit (yet) given the performance we can get from mere AX class routers. But gamers will fall all over themselves to think they have a better connection than wired.
I'm more curious about how it works when you connect to the router, as I don't really understand how that part is meant to work.
I would've expected that there has to be some kind of setting to enable this, but it doesn't seem to be the case from the Broadcom document, although it's not really that detailed.

Qualcomm put out a press release about their FastConncet 6900 series today claiming concurrent dual band support, but it seems like Broadcom have them beaten by a whole band...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!