What's new

Asus GT-AX16000 2.5Wan as normal 2.5 Ethernet?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crospa91

New Around Here
Hi Folks,
Received my AXE16000 yesterday and I was wondering on particular thing.
My ISP Router is connected to the 10Gig port, so anyone knows if it's possible to connect a 2.5Gbe device to the Wan 2.5 port?
The device connected to the wan port will be a NAS, so the router will need to deal with it as it was a normal ethernet port.
Anyone have any idea o had tried this?

Asus apparently indicates, on the ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, the 10G port(s) are WAN/LAN capable while the 2.5G port is WAN only.
  • Dual 10G ports – Enjoy up to 10X-faster data-transfer speeds for bandwidth-demanding tasks with two 10 Gbps WAN/LAN ports.
  • 2.5G WAN port – 2.5 Gbps port prioritizes all network traffic, and unlocks the full potential of WiFi 6.
Edit to add; from the Tech Specs section:
Ports
1 x 2.5 Gigabit WAN Port
2 x 10 Gigabit WAN/LAN Ports
4 x Gigabit LAN Ports
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Port
1 x USB 2.0 Port
One could, I assume, use one of the 10G ports for the WAN and the other 10G port for the LAN.

Last edited:
Look, just try it and see what happens.
Once you configure "Primary WAN" to be one of the 10G ports, confirm everything is working well.
And plug a laptop to the "classic" WAN port and see if you're getting IP address from LAN or not. If it gets an IP, reboot the router and see if keeps working.

Can't hurt. If by moving WAN to a 10G port you get a "dead" "classic" WAN port - it's not a huge deal. Yeah, a 2.5gbps "free" port would be useful. But it depends a lot on the internal architecture and chipsets used. It may not be actually technically possible to use that port.

Just seeing this now, was anyone able to confirm whether this works for the "Primary WAN" as a 10G port and another device in the "Classic" 2.5G WAN port?

Last edited:
Found this thread while searching for the same answer. Went ahead and tried it, tldr; it works! ... I think?

My setup:
Internet: 5Gbps Fiber <--- 10G ---> Primary: RT-BE96U <--- 10Gbps switch ---> AiMesh: GT-AXE16000

On the GT-AXE16000 I have two PCs, each with 2.5G NICs. Currently I have 10GE1 set as "WAN" (uplink to the 10Gbps switch) with PC1 in 10GE2 and PC2 in the 2.5G WAN port. Both PCs are getting 2.5Gbps throughput, and can do it simultaneously. Confirmed via both PCs saturating their NICs on Speedtest.net at the same time (~5.2Gbps seen via Traffic Monitor on the RT-BE96U)

What I can't confirm is if the full 10Gbps is usable on both ports, but at the very least it proves one of the 10G ports can do >5Gbps throughput and the 2.5G port can be used for LAN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!