What's new

ASUS GT-AXE 16000 Not doing 10Gbps, am I missing something here?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

talisman2208

Occasional Visitor
Problem: Asus Router outputting 2.5Gbps instead of 10Gbps.

Facts:

1. When connected directly to modem I am able to achieve 10Gbps, that eliminates most possibilities
2. When I connect the modem directly to my switch, all my 10Gbps devices achieve 10Gbps, when I go Modem > Asus > Switch they do not.
3. The cable between the Asus and the switch has been confirmed working with 10Gbps

4. The 10Gb light is White meaning I only have ONE 10G connection(, when I should have TWO.

1685811579813.png

5. Port 1 is from the router, showing I do have a 10Gbps connection right? But my speeds are tapping out right at 2500
1685811099544.png

6. Modem is plugged into WAN 1 (Ethernet 1) Switch is plugged into WAN 2 (Ethernet 2)

7. Here are some photos of my settings.

1685811221660.png

1685811268271.png

The router says it has 2x 10Gb Wan / Lan ports... what am I missing here?

Maybe someone smarter than me can tell me what I'm missing here?

Last edited:
The router says it has 2x 10Gb Wan / Lan ports... what am I missing here?

The fact it has 10GbE ports, but not really 10Gbps capable hardware inside. You can fix the port speed with cable replacement, but to get close to 10Gbps throughput you have to be running in very basic configuration. This router relies heavily on NAT acceleration and every option enabled that interferes with it or uses CPU will slow it down. If you hit an option NAT acceleration incompatible it won't be able to do even 0.5Gbps WAN/LAN throughput.

The fact it has 10GbE ports, but not really 10Gbps capable hardware inside. You can fix the port speed with cable replacement, but to get close to 10Gbps throughput you have to be running in very basic configuration. This router relies heavily on NAT acceleration and every option enabled that interferes with it or uses CPU will slow it down. If you hit an option NAT acceleration incompatible it won't be able to do even 0.5Gbps WAN/LAN throughput.

So I guess, I should just ask basically - I have 5gb fiber coming in. Is there anything I can do to get my actual speeds of confirmed 5 up 5 down that I get right from the modem or no?

I really don't have much enabled other than some port forwarding and IP assignments

I would try with all TrendMicro components disabled. Withdraw the data sharing agreement in Administration, Privacy. Reboot and try again. This router has basically the same hardware like much cheaper GT-AX6000 with 2x 2.5GbE ports. The hardware inside is better matching this model.

I would try with all TrendMicro components disabled. Withdraw the data sharing agreement in Administration, Privacy. Reboot and try again. This router has basically the same hardware like much cheaper GT-AX6000 with 2x 2.5GbE ports. The hardware inside is better matching this model.

1685814643758.png

LMFAO. Bro - all I did was disable the two privacy agreements like you said, and turned off 5G-2 radio.

It was one of those two things. Wtf asus??

It was one of those two things. Wtf asus??

It was the data sharing agreement withdrawal disabling 3rd party TrendMicro components. This way you lose big part of firmware features, but get the speed back. What Asus is not telling you - it's "up to 10Gbps", not "guaranteed 10Gbps". The actual CPU processing power is about 400Mbps only. Everything above is NAT acceleration in form of Broadcom's Runner and Flow Cache. They are affected differently by different firmware options enabled up to complete incompatibility. 10Gbps ports on this router are part of the marketing. It's marketed AXE16000 (16Gbps) and has to have 10Gbps ports to match the theoretical maximums you will never see in real life.

It was the data sharing agreement withdrawal disabling 3rd party TrendMicro components. This way you lose big part of firmware features, but get the speed back. What Asus is not telling you - it's "up to 10Gbps", not "guaranteed 10Gbps". The actual CPU processing power is about 400Mbps only. Everything above is NAT acceleration in form of Broadcom's Runner and Flow Cache. They are affected differently by different firmware options enabled up to complete incompatibility. 10Gbps ports on this router are part of the marketing. It's marketed AXE16000 (16Gbps) and has to have 10Gbps ports to match the theoretical maximums you will never see in real life.

Well - all I know is I pay for 5G, I want 5G, and I now have 5G... So I'm happy I guess.

I don't think I would have used any of those things I disabled anyway, so I'm not too upset about losing them.

Thanks for all your help. I guess it's at least possible to achieve 5Gbps up and down on this router. I won't hold my breath for 10Gb

I believe I've seen 8Gbps up/down screenshots, but again in very basic configuration only. For true 10Gbps packet inspection (IDS/IPS) or traffic shaping (QoS/Limiters) you need serious x86 hardware with multi-core processing - much faster than what this router has. Modern desktop PC faster. Keep in mind home routers are power efficiency optimized devices. You don't want 200W x86 8/16-core CPU hardware 24/7 for Web browsing and YouTube.

Few folks around have it, actually. Some say it works well in cold winter months. :)

Last edited:
I believe I've seen 8Gbps up/down screenshots, but again in very basic configuration only. For true 10Gbps packet inspection (IDS/IPS) or traffic shaping (QoS/Limiters) you need serious x86 hardware with multi-core processing - much faster than what this router has. Modern desktop PC faster. Keep in mind home routers are power efficiency optimized devices. You don't want 200W x86 8/16-core CPU hardware 24/7 for Web browsing and YouTube.

Few folks around have it, actually. Some say it works well in cold winter months. :)

I think my next best bet is to just build a router. :(

You can do this, of course. The easiest and cheaper way is off-lease business SFF PC off eBay (HP, DELL, Lenovo) with Intel i5/i7-class CPU, 8GB RAM, a small SSD and a network card with the ports you need. Popular OS are pfSense/OPNsense, but you need to know networking above average level or go slowly one step at a time with some available online tutorials. They are powerful and very configurable, but not as user friendly as home routers. A system like this will idle at around 50W. I know because I had one before. I'm still using pfSense, but on more power efficient and small size hardware.

I think my next best bet is to just build a router. :(
Unless you are already familiar with networking details, prepare to invest significant time to learn networking and to learn a specific router OS

5Gbit should carry you for a very long time for almost any use case, particularly home based. If you wait, consumer class gear will get there once there is a sizable market. In reality though, most home use cases will be fine with 100 Mbit, maybe 200Mbit ISP bandwidth. If latency to the ISP is an issue, higher bandwidth can help reduce that, but you still have the latency of the other service providers all the way back to the connected server. Right now, even though the ISP markets 1, 2,5,10 Gbit service, the reality is very few will actually be able to get close to saturating their link, even intermittantly. The ISPs count on that, as they have very significant costs to upgrade their infrastructure. And then there are the internet backbone providers that will have to upgrade along with the webhost servers....and on and on. So home user bandwidth pipes over a couple 100 Mbits/s are really underutilized and only worth bragging rights unless there is a special use case.

i would wait.

I made an account just to say thank you. I had been troubleshooting and changing settings within the router, my NICs, and Windows over a period of 3 days... everything but think that "that" would've caused it.

I had the 5Gbps plan with Google Fiber for over a year after I purchased my AXE-16000, and at first was getting 5.7Gbps down and 8Gbps up... eventually it evened out in the 5s for both... but I never had any issues not getting the speed I paid for.

Fast forward and GFiber introduced 8Gbps symmetrical and I restarted the router as a precaution for the new download speed and it was getting sub 1Gbps speeds and increased latency. Hours wasted trying to work with Google to see if something originated on their end. And all this suffering for what?

Many, many thanks. You can even see in the one screenshot where I was testing the speeds straight from the ONT, trying the router twice again, and then what I got with the router after withdrawing from those 2 Privacy agreements after seeing your suggestion.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-04 004949.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-04 004949.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2024-04-04 005108.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-04 005108.png
    408.2 KB · Views: 32
I don't understand this metaphor lol
how about using a 1000 hp car to drive in city traffic , same difference , just wasting resources for bragging rights

No such thing as overkill.

The price determines everything.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online