What's new

Asus GT-AXE16000 Router - Dual WAN with access to secondary router GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Luke64

New Around Here
Hi, I have configured the dual Wan on the Asus GT-AXE16000 router with Original Firmware. I assigned to the primary WAN the configuration assigned by my ISP with PPoE and to the Secondary WAN the access to a second 4G/LTE Router configured with a static address 192.168.0.253 in the WAN2 side subnet.
However when I try to access the Router address 192.168.0.253 connected to the WAN2 port via its IP address I cannot reach its GUI.
Where am I wrong?
Attached are all the configurations I set.
Tanks

Attachments

• screenshot_20230502_125815.png
    screenshot_20230502_125815.png
    245.7 KB · Views: 109
  • screenshot_20230502_130127.png
    screenshot_20230502_130127.png
    672.9 KB · Views: 103
  • screenshot_20230502_130157.png
    screenshot_20230502_130157.png
    732.6 KB · Views: 91
  • screenshot_20230502_130301.png
    screenshot_20230502_130301.png
    678.7 KB · Views: 97
You are not doing anything wrong. That's how it's meant to work. In Failover mode only one of the WAN interfaces is active at any one time. The inactive interface is "down" and therefore inaccessible.

This script won't "fix" what @Luke64 is asking about. Why - explained by Colin Taylor above.

For both modems GUI accessible Dual WAN has to be set to Load Balance mode, but this is even worse in Asuswrt.

This script won't "fix" what @Luke64 is asking about. Why - explained by Colin Taylor above.

For both modems GUI accessible Dual WAN has to be set to Load Balance mode, but this is even worse in Asuswrt.
Incredible!!! ... are you telling me that a Router of this level is not able to let me access the WAN network even by setting a static route? ... I really hope there is a solution to this Asus nonsense!! ...
Has anyone tried setting up a static route in the LAN to route packets on the WAN side? ... It might work? ...
if yes, can you kindly suggest how to configure it in my case?

Thank you

are you telling me that a Router of this level is not able to let me access the WAN network even by setting a static route?

I'm telling you the following:

- what you ask for is impossible because one of your WAN connections is not active in fail over mode. You can't access the modem on inactive connection. On any router, not only on your Asus. I use more expensive business routers and it's the same.

- Dual WAN function on Asus routers is widely advertised, but not working reliably. Backup WAN may or may not fail over and/or fail back after the main WAN is restored. This is a known issue for years and the script above was made to address it.

- Your router is just an expensive home toy with 10GbE ports, but similar to Raspberry Pi weak hardware inside; it has RGB lights, mirror and 8x external antennas to look more "powerful" and "gaming" to you; there is more advertisement involved than quality and functionality; the firmware is like perpetual beta with bugs and you signed up for a beta tester. If you believe this router is a serious piece of 10Gbps (or 16Gbps) capable networking hardware - it isn't. If you hit incompatible with NAT acceleration firmware option it can't do even 0.5Gbps WAN-LAN.

Good luck and enjoy the RGB lights.

I'm telling you the following:

- what you ask for is impossible because one of your WAN connections is not active in fail over mode. You can't access the modem on inactive connection. On any router, not only on your Asus. I use more expensive business routers and it's the same.

- Dual WAN function on Asus routers is widely advertised, but not working reliably. Backup WAN may or may not fail over and/or fail back after the main WAN is restored. This is a known issue for years and the script above was made to address it.

- Your router is just an expensive home toy with 10GbE ports, but similar to Raspberry Pi weak hardware inside; it has RGB lights, mirror and 8x external antennas to look more "powerful" and "gaming" to you; there is more advertisement involved than quality and functionality; the firmware is like perpetual beta with bugs and you signed up for a beta tester. If you believe this router is a serious piece of 10Gbps (or 16Gbps) capable networking hardware - it isn't. If you hit incompatible with NAT acceleration firmware option it can't do even 0.5Gbps WAN-LAN.

Good luck and enjoy the RGB lights.
Tanks Tech9 ...
Would all of this still be broken even if I install the alternative Merlin firmware? ...
or with Merlin will I be able to solve the problem?
tanks

Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't change anything in Dual WAN. It comes from Asuswrt.

- you still won't be able to access the inactive WAN modem GUI because this is how it works

- if fail over and fail back doesn't work reliably in stock Asuswrt the custom script above may help