What's new

ASUS GT-AXE16000 status?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris313AllNight

Regular Contributor
So, I'm a Comcast customer with upcoming upgrades, 1500+ and AT&T Fiber 2-5 Gig coming. I was eyeing the 16000 as a replacement for my AX86U due to multi-gig ports. (2x10 and 1 2.5 port, which I plan to plug in a MG switch, the gateway into the 10 ports and 1 PC into the 2.5 port.)

How has the unit been these days. Anyone having issues with the ports anymore or is everything working now?

I don't own one, but I would do side by side runs with your current hardware to make sure the newer product isn't worse.

A buddy of mine bought a GT-AX11000 PRO and its underperforming relative to his previous first gen GT-AX11000 for 5G range.

Similar to my situation where both GT-AX6000 I tried (2 units) are a bit worse than a random AX86S I bought to replace my GT-AC2900. That's testing all channels, competitive settings etc.

I don't know what causes the discrepancy (could be EMI) as there are users that find the GT-AX6000 better than their previous AX86U. Seems to be very situational.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm a Comcast customer with upcoming upgrades, 1500+ and AT&T Fiber 2-5 Gig coming. I was eyeing the 16000 as a replacement for my AX86U due to multi-gig ports. (2x10 and 1 2.5 port, which I plan to plug in a MG switch, the gateway into the 10 ports and 1 PC into the 2.5 port.)

How has the unit been these days. Anyone having issues with the ports anymore or is everything working now?
I purchased a GT-AXE16000 2 weeks ago and it is running flawlessly.

CC

AXE16k Dec 2022. I tried Merlin on it with 3x XT12 in wireless aimesh, did not work, aimesh was super flaky & only running older firmware I got 1x node up. Went back to stock firmware, been absolutely solid since, updated firmware on devices no issues. One thing I use to was restart the router 2x a week. This seems to make the dual wan setup stay on the backup link. Stopped restarting schedule and its been rock solid. I am considering trying Merlin again. Router specs are so overkill, running stock firmware is almost criminal.

I have my GT-AXE16000 installed and it appears to be running great. Oddly I could not get an IP from Frontier FiOS at first. Got the dreaded 'your ISP does not do DHCP properly' message after everything I tried. Finally (in an act of desperation) I flashed it to Merlin and it started working! I was going to run Merlin (of course) anyway so it's fine. Just wouldn't work with stock firmware.

I have my GT-AXE16000 installed and it appears to be running great. Oddly I could not get an IP from Frontier FiOS at first. Got the dreaded 'your ISP does not do DHCP properly' message after everything I tried. Finally (in an act of desperation) I flashed it to Merlin and it started working! I was going to run Merlin (of course) anyway so it's fine. Just wouldn't work with stock firmware.

That's usually caused by the modem not releasing previous setting.

A reboot of modem and then router should have fixed it, but maybe you have a completely different issue.

Indeed, that was one of the things I tried to no avail.

AXE16k since Dec 2022 + 3x XT12 wireless AiMesh. Stock firmware - latest. After getting it setup, its been absolutely rock solid. I did have to unlearn somethings. I was use to have scheduled reboot twice a week, this seems to confuse the dual-wan setup > switched off rebooting and its been rock solid. WiFi wise, no complaints and aimesh has been really good. Internet connection. 1Gbps and now 3Gbps up/down. No issues with the AXE16k itself or XT12s linked to it. My only issue is firmware. This router is so overkill if your not using Merlin, going to attempt Merlin again as on stock firmware there is 1.3GB or RAM sitting idle. Just remember, for 2Gbps+ links you will need to keep a number of options/services disabled but at this point it makes little difference. I disabled QOS/aiprotect/URL filtering/etc. For my WAN setup, I always clone the MAC of the router from the ISP (Virgin media modem trick I stick to), DHCP I set to continuous, I set WiFi 6e band to 160hz only, seemed to make rest of the WiFi setup more stable plus, 6e is next to useless anyway. If you got have 1Gbps+ link then for me, its the best off-the-shelf option - add in Merlin and its pretty damn good. I looked really hard at building a pfsense based setup but I settled for Asus as aimesh setup is very good for my setup.

Just received the AXE16000, upgrading from 2 x AX86U and plan for the beginning to use one AX86U as a node (will cover only IOT devices).

I’ve always used Meriln, never ever been on stock firmware … any idea if Merlin is stable on this router ? Btw plan on using the ROG firmware as the layout and visuals are awesome

I’ve always used Meriln, never ever been on stock firmware … any idea if Merlin is stable on this router
My primary router is a GT-AXE16000.

1675271647883.png

1675271462035.png

So I received the "beast" .. it's huge ... I had a furniture space for the old AX86U but this one does not fit there, need to modify the furniture.
On topic:
Installed Merlin, as usual.
The ROG interface is nice but to briz briz for me so did a factory reset and installed 388 with the normal view.
Tested the WiFi 6E with an iPad and it's awesome ... only problem that I have is that Wifi 6 SSID was available for about 30-45 min and then completely vanished, did another factory reset and wifi 6 ssid was back for another 30 min and then vanished again ... any idea what could cause this ?

I have only 1 device wifi6 compatible (the ipad) but still would like to use it with this one and it's weird coz after factory reset is there but vanishes ...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!