What's new

Asus GX-D1051 vs TP-Link TL-SG105

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enr00ted

Regular Contributor
Hi there everyone,

I want to upgrade my wired lan to gigabit. I have an Asus RT-N66U and this switch - http://www.asus.com/Networking/GX1005B_V5/ - connected to the router. I have all my computers connected to the switch, wich is not gigabit. So I only have to upgrade my switch to a gigabit one.

The problem is I don't know wich one to choose:

Asus - http://www.asus.com/Networking/GXD1051_V3/specifications/

TP-Link - http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=1585&model=TL-SG105#spec

Do they both have QOS ? The only difference I see is that the TP-Link has IGMP Snooping (at least they claim). I don't know if this makes sense for a home network, or if it is important at all. I really like the asus one but if it lacks features ... any advice ?

Thank you.

PD: I finally got this model wich is managed - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-SG105E - and has IGMPv3 and loop control and a lot of features that I might never use but it was cheaper than the Asus. Here in Spain is quite a hassle to get Asus network equipment.

Last edited:
Both look unmanaged switches. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I personally use TP-Link switches and am very happy. Virtually all unmanaged switches are the same inside, with small variations here and there. 99% of them use Realtek chips too

The 8 Port version of the TP-Link 5 port swich that you are considering buying is actually $2.00 cheaper on amazon right now. Seems like a no brainer to me. Better to have a switch w/ a few extra unused ports than to have a switch that doesn't have enough ports.

The 8 Port version of the TP-Link 5 port swich that you are considering buying is actually $2.00 cheaper on amazon right now. Seems like a no brainer to me. Better to have a switch w/ a few extra unused ports than to have a switch that doesn't have enough ports.

Yeah I know, but I have space issues. My switch is inside a wall opening, something like the one that has the power switches of the house/apartment where all my DTV and phone line cross (like an intersection in the middle of the apartment). It is the bridge that connects all my rooms and the living. The one I have now fits exactly, and I only use 3 of the 5 ports, leaving me 2 for feature expansion. :p

try to find the specs for both in such that
for a 5 port switch do they have 10Gb/s of non blocking bandwidth?
what is their switching latency, is it below 10 microseconds?
gigabit ports are full duplex so they can have up to 2Gb/s per port.

For home networks that have everything on the same subnet and VLAN unmanaged switches are fine and features dont matter, however you may want to check if they support a variant of STP.

Green switches are good and the tp link says that it uses less than 3W. This can be significant in home if you leave your equipment on 24/7. Less power means less heat and more savings in electricity.

QoS for L2 only matters if you are passing lots of traffic locally. Such as if you were streaming, doing file transfers and rendering on LAN all at the same time than QoS helps if they use the full LAN bandwidth capacity, otherwise QoS is useless especially in unmanaged where everything is preconfigured. For L2 QoS is only good if you can configure it which in unmanaged is not possible. Perhaps the QoS support in unmanaged switches depend on the QoS marking on packets (on L2 there is a section in header for QoS/priority). In other words its not important in unmanaged and basic.

Last edited:
Thanks all but "System Error Message" thank you very much for all the info. Now I think I understand a little more about switches and what to look for :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!