What's new

Beta ASUS Instant Guard iOS/Android public beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUSWRT_2020

Regular Contributor
Update 2020/10/30

Put ASUS router Android apk and Instant Guard apk in the same share google driver folder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2020/10/29

Android beta APK is ready
ASUS Router App: https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/EEE3CF2E623B49FB8EB98BDD5287204AY
Instant Guard app : https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/a/#/s/4479B9C19965432A83C3801372727E88Y

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instant Guard is an app to help easily set the IPSec VPN server at router and IPSec VPN client at phone.
In the 1st stage, this app is only for administrator and need to update both ASUS router app and Instant Guard app.
The screenshots are as follows.

1. Click the Instant Guard in the router app and the router app would modify the firmware setting and transfer the necessary information to the Instant Guard app.
IMG_2282.PNG

2. Tap the shield icon and build the VPN connection.
IMG_2284.PNG

IMG_2286.PNG

After established the VPN connection successfully, you can just click the Instant Guard app next time for VPN connection.

Currently, only support iOS and android beta will be released in the end of Oct.
Requirement: (1) Routes with IPSec VPN server feature (2) Router must have IPv4 public WAN IP (3) Firmwareequal and greater than 9.0.0.4_386_40322

If you want to join the iOS beta test, please (1) send me your Apple ID in a private message (2) install the test TestFlight app https://apps.apple.com/app/testflight/id899247664
We will start to send the TestFlight invitation by email on Oct 12.

After joined the TestFlight, the ASUS Router and Instant Guard will be in your TestFlight app.

IMG_2287.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Just PM you my AppleID :)
Edit: I got TestFlight installed, waiting for 12 October 2020 :)

Last edited:
Is support for Wireguard something you'll look into aswell?

Thanks. Just PM you my AppleID :)
Edit: I got TestFlight installed, waiting for 12 October 2020 :)
I look forward for Instant Guard.

Currently I am using iOS "OpenVPN Connect" App to remotely connect to Asus OpenVPN Server on my RT-AX88U. While OpenVPN can be established and everything works over Safari browser. However, I found that Asus Router App over OpenVPN only works over WiFi, but, failed when Connected over Cellular.

Hoping to see that Instant Guard can make Asus Router App work over both Wifi and Cellular connection.

I don't have an iPhone but I am looking forward to the android version. I do have an ipad but I rarely use it outside of home which defeats the whole purpose of this feature.

I look forward for Instant Guard.

Currently I am using iOS "OpenVPN Connect" App to remotely connect to Asus OpenVPN Server on my RT-AX88U. While OpenVPN can be established and everything works over Safari browser. However, I found that Asus Router App over OpenVPN only works over WiFi, but, failed when Connected over Cellular.

Hoping to see that Instant Guard can make Asus Router App work over both Wifi and Cellular connection.

You can already do the same thing by configuring an IPSEC tunnel. Instant Guard just makes it more automated to setup.

You can already do the same thing by configuring an IPSEC tunnel. Instant Guard just makes it more automated to setup.
RMerlin,
Thanks ... I have just factory reset the AiMesh Network about 1.5 days ago with a clean setup to get ready for "Instant Guard" beta testing. I just browse the thread on IPsec VPN discussion :). Thanks.

ASUSWRT_2020,

I just got an invitation for TestFlight, was able to install ASUS Router App, however, when click on Instant Guard per your instruction, takes me to "Install", when I click on install, I got the following "App is not available for my country or region" :( :

IMG_2985.jpg

Edit: Oh "Instand Guard" is not in TestFlight, where I see only "ASUS Router" App. I will just wait.

Last edited:
Thanks.
ASUSWRT_2020,
While waiting for Apple’s approval process, may I know if IKEv2 is supported by Instant Guard. I noticed IKEv2 has native support in iOS or are you still using the Cisco IPsec variety? Thanks.

Hi,
Update, "Instant Guard" invite for TestFlight arrived.

Installation of "Instant Guard" is quite straight forward, just need to give it time to find and connect to AiMesh Router to do the magic connection before you click the Shield.

I find that if I TURN OFF WiFi, while I can use "Instant Guard" to establish a VPN connection over Cellular connection, ASUS Router App says "Unable to reach remotely". This seem to be the same VPN over Cellular issue I have when using Cisco IPSec VPN and OpenVPN Connect App.
PS: Need to run, I will test it some more when I get back later.

Confirm, Asus Router App woorks if Instant Guard connects over WiFi, including WiFi hotspot over cellular. But not over Cellular directly.

I was able to download the app and setup a VPN connection. Really well done and much easier than setting up openVPN on both the router and mobile device. Do you know if you have plans to develop instaguard for Windows devices? Right now I use I use the openVPN client to connect to a router at another location.

Overall everything worked as expected.

Just put a beta router aside and got a rough GT-AC5300 (main)/RT-AC68U (node) system up and running on RC-6. Instant Guard seems to be running great over both Wi-Fi *and* cellular connections. I'm on Cricket Wireless (AT&T) on an iPhone 7. This is great. Am going to add more nodes this evening.

Just put a beta router aside and got a rough GT-AC5300 (main)/RT-AC68U (node) system up and running on RC-6. Instant Guard seems to be running great over both Wi-Fi *and* cellular connections. I'm on Cricket Wireless (AT&T) on an iPhone 7. This is great. Am going to add more nodes this evening.
NSNE,
I am having problem running "Asus Router" App with "Instant Guard" over Cellular connection :( on my iPhoneXsMax, not sure if it is my Telco Operator or Apple iOS. So I would greatly appreciate if you could confirm:
  • if you are connected via Cellular (3G/4G) directly
  • if you have ENABLED WAN Access explicitly by yourself (Administration -> System -> Remote Access Config) or as a side effect of the enabling WAN access option in your "Instant Guard" setup.
  • Thank you.
Screenshot 2020-10-16 at 09.30.01.png

Last edited:
ASUSWRT_2020,

A suggestion for you consideration. While I can understand appreciate that you want to simplify the IPSec VPN setup starting with iOS, would you consider to provide user the option to accept your auto-generated Pre-Shared Key or Enter one that the user prefers.

Rationale:
After I setup Instant guard on my iPhone, I wanted to setup IPSec VPN on my Mac ... I discovered
  • auto-generated Pre-Shared Key in IPSec VPN Server setup screen, that was masked in the GUI as *************
  • It took me a while to figured out that moving the mouse to set focus on the Pre-Shared Key field, exposes the auto-generated Pre-Shared Key
PS: I like to managed my keys vs having cryptic auto generated keys; my workaround, is to setup IPSec VPN Server first so that I can define my IPSec VPN Server's Pre-Shared Key (iOS calls it "Secret"). After that I setup "Instant Guard" which honours the Pre-Shared Key I used.:)

Instant Guard is an app to help easily set the IPSec VPN server at router and IPSec VPN client at phone.
In the 1st stage, this app is only for administrator and need to update both ASUS router app and Instant Guard app.
The screenshots are as follows.

1. Click the Instant Guard in the router app and the router app would modify the firmware setting and transfer the necessary information to the Instant Guard app.
View attachment 26740

2. Tap the shield icon and build the VPN connection.
View attachment 26736

View attachment 26737

After established the VPN connection successfully, you can just click the Instant Guard app next time for VPN connection.

Currently, only support iOS and android beta will be released in the end of Oct.
Requirement: (1) Routes with IPSec VPN server feature (2) Router must have IPv4 public WAN IP (3) Firmwareequal and greater than 9.0.0.4_386_40322

If you want to join the iOS beta test, please (1) send me your Apple ID in a private message (2) install the test TestFlight app https://apps.apple.com/app/testflight/id899247664
We will start to send the TestFlight invitation by email on Oct 12.

After joined the TestFlight, the ASUS Router and Instant Guard will be in your TestFlight app.

View attachment 26739
I've been impressed with the implementation of Instant Guard. However, I notice that Instant guard enables WAN remote access. I thought that was a big security risk. This isn't required for OpenVPN, if I disable WAN remote access I'm assuming Instant Gard won't work. Are there security concerns with this?

Edit: I disabled remote WAN access and I can still connect using Instant Guard. Wondering why it was turned on in the first place?

Last edited:
Edit: I disabled remote WAN access and I can still connect using Instant Guard. Wondering why it was turned on in the first place?
Are you connected outside your local network? With remote access disabled, I appear to be unable to connect via IG over my cell connection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!