What's new

ASUS Introductions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CL-Jeremy

Regular Contributor
Hello everybody on SmallNetBuilder forums!

My name is Jeremy and am part of the newly formed ASUS Customer Loyalty team. I am here as a representative of ASUS to help you with any customer service needs. You can ask me any questions about troubleshooting, product specifications, or just try me and I'll see what I can do.

I will be cruising around the wireless networking forum mostly so I hope to help you out in any way that I can.

Thanks!
Jeremy

My name is Jeremy and am part of the newly formed ASUS Customer Loyalty team. I am here as a representative of ASUS to help you with any customer service needs. You can ask me any questions about troubleshooting, product specifications, or just try me and I'll see what I can do.

I will be cruising around the wireless networking forum mostly so I hope to help you out in any way that I can.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Excellent welcome. So well any ideas when the new AC66U is due for release as i need to get a router soon :)

Excellent welcome. So well any ideas when the new AC66U is due for release as i need to get a router soon :)

Sorry I only get notified when the products actually get released because that is when I will start to get customers asking for specs and troubleshooting :).

Hi, Jeremy

I bought a Asus EA-N66 as a repeater for my main Asus N66U router, but it looks like to me that EA-N66 can only be setup to repeat either 5gHz band or 2.4gHz band, but not both, right? or Is there any way that it can repeat both bands at the same time?

Thanks,

William

Last edited:
Hi, Jeremy

I bought a Asus EA-N66 as a repeater for my main Asus N66U router, but it looks like to me that EA-N66 can only be setup to repeat either 5gHz band or 2.4gHz band, but not both, right? or Is there any way that it can repeat both bands at the same time?

Thanks,

William

Hi William,

I am sorry but the EA-N66 in repeater mode can only transmit on one band at a time.

Firmware

Jermy,

Welcome, when can we expect this:

"The 64KB NVRAM firmware should release sometimes by the end of this week or next week. I was not aware of the release of .144 but I did try it out and this isn't the same version I have been testing. As for your feedback I will forward this to our team. Let me know if you have further concerns."

That quote if from the technical support. We need the 64 NVRAM firmware ASAP to stop the router eventual crashes. Please advise us.....

CC

Jermy,

"The 64KB NVRAM firmware should release sometimes by the end of this week or next week. I was not aware of the release of .144 but I did try it out and this isn't the same version I have been testing. As for your feedback I will forward this to our team. Let me know if you have further concerns."

That quote if from the technical support. We need the 64 NVRAM firmware ASAP to stop the router eventual crashes. Please advise us.....

CC

Your quote answered your own question: "by the end of this week or next week".

Hi Jeremy and welcome!

I was wondering if you might know some additional details about the nvram update for the RT-N66U. Such as how it's going to work for us that use custom firmware?

For instance, are we going to have to use the Asus firmware in order to take advantage of the update, or is it something that modders will be able to add to their firmware later on?

Last edited:
yes

Anthony correct....looking for comformation. I have heard the next week thing too many times that never materalized....

CC

Howdy Jeremy,
I would like to thank ASUS with its thinking in having a representative here on the boards.
Like many others here, the problems are small, but they linger on from each firmware. A fellow member here and VIP.ASUS.COM RMerlin has done a great service for both us, and for ASUS in fixing those little problems, or at least minimizing the problems.

I would hope with the staffing levels at ASUS, that the firmware team gets busy and gets some fixes out. The hardware itself is exactly what the doctor ordered. Dual concurrent band wifi router (RT-N66U) and shortly the new RT-AC66U. We would just like a solid firmware to go along with this hardware.

again, thanks, and pass on the problems we have. Some problems are known, and that is why I am not sending a e-mail a day about it.

Hi Jeremy and welcome!

I was wondering if you might know some additional details about the nvram update for the RT-N66U. Such as how it's going to work for us that use custom firmware?

For instance, are we going to have to use the Asus firmware in order to take advantage of the update, or is it something that modders will be able to add to their firmware later on?

Jermy,

CC

Hahaha, yes upon my inquiry, I too was told that the update would be this week. Since I do not have direct control over the firmware update or release, I cannot give you anything more than what you have probably been told.

As far as custom firmware people, I am assuming it is like the usual custom community. The update works for the official firmware until somebody else alters it for the custom firmware. I wouldn't see why Asus as a company would work directly with custom firmwares if we are already producing our own.

I'm actually pretty interested in the AiCloud product announced a while back. I assume this will allow me to "cloudify" a folder on a local disk, and my family/friends can install some client that lets them access my shared folders? This would be nice since I'm kind of tired of people loaning me hard drives asking for x/y/z files.

It said that this feature is for the AC66U and N66U, but I can't find any release info anywhere. If I bought an N66U today could I use this feature immediately, or will there be some firmware update in the future that adds this?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, thank you for making yourself available on this forum. I started a thread a few days ago regarding a SAMBA server issue. I get this problem that when I file manage, i.e. create a folder or two and then move .jpg files from parent folder to a subfolder everything is fine until I unmount the external USB drive and remove it. When I plug it into my Win 7 pc and run a chkdsk it has cross-linking, trancation and MFT errors I have to fix. Problem is that the files and folders I managed usually disappear or become corrupted. This is a serious problem as I use the USB ext drive as media storage and backup. This happens to both FAT32 and NTFS. If I switch off the router or reboot the affected files suddenly become corrupt and the DLNA indexing stops right there at the corrupt files without bypassing and running to the end.... RMerlin had some suggestions regarding the NTFS driver used by ASUS (what about FAT32?). Do you think this problem can be resolved any time soon? Nobody else on this forum however seems to share this problem....:cool:

I'm actually pretty interested in the AiCloud product announced a while back. I assume this will allow me to "cloudify" a folder on a local disk, and my family/friends can install some client that lets them access my shared folders? This would be nice since I'm kind of tired of people loaning me hard drives asking for x/y/z files.

It said that this feature is for the AC66U and N66U, but I can't find any release info anywhere. If I bought an N66U today could I use this feature immediately, or will there be some firmware update in the future that adds this?

I too am looking forward to the AiCloud

Dropbox? Free, encrypted, and works really well for that sort of thing...unless there's more to what you're saying than I'm reading.

I too am looking forward to the AiCloud

Glad to hear you guys are excited about it!

Yes, it will be available on the N66U with a future firmware update.

Dropbox? Free, encrypted, and works really well for that sort of thing...unless there's more to what you're saying than I'm reading.

Dropbox is blocked at work, furthermore unless I'm mistaken AiCloud gives you access to more than the limited storage that Dropbox provides.

But good info, some people may not be aware of Dropbox and it is a great service just has limited storage and is blocked in many work places.

Glad to hear you guys are excited about it!

Yes, it will be available on the N66U with a future firmware update.

Any eta for the iphone app? The website for AiCloud advertises it as being available now however it doesn't show up in the us AppStore.

Sorry, a little late. I've been checking out the AiCloud for you guys. Still working on it, but I had stop to answer some questions!

Dropbox is blocked at work, furthermore unless I'm mistaken AiCloud gives you access to more than the limited storage that Dropbox provides.

But good info, some people may not be aware of Dropbox and it is a great service just has limited storage and is blocked in many work places.

Any eta for the iphone app? The website for AiCloud advertises it as being available now however it doesn't show up in the us AppStore.

iPhone app? soon :p same with the Android version :)

Dropbox free gives you 2GB. I'm looking to share about 1000x that.

1000 x 2GB? 2 Terabytes? well yes if you have a 2TB hard drive :D