What's new

ASUS limit on manually assigned IPs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

denpa

New Around Here
After a process of elimination for other brands and models, and reading good things about RT-AX86U, I got one. So far so good, setup was as expected and the software is better than my old Netgear WNDR4500 and the current TP-Link software. Everything looks reasonable except the limit on manually assigned IPs to 64. Apparently, other ASUS routers have similar limits too. This one I don't get; I cannot imagine using excessive resources to support the whole subnet, if someone so wishes. What would possibly be the reason? Is this because this is a "consumer" device? But they provide many other advanced features: QoS, VPN functionality, etc.

Thankfully, even if I register all of my/known devices (which I usually do), the number is in the 50s (computers (work & personal), mobile devices, TVs, other routers/APs, smart devices/IoT, etc). Even if I hit the limit, I can remove some devices to make room. Currently, only about 10 devices really need it, but I like to register all devices in part to easily tell when a new device is using the network.

Here you go:

Cool, thanks, but still doesn't explain the artificial limit.

There are few possible reasons:
- most home routers serve less than 64 clients
- the space used for DHCP reservations is limited
- home routers can support about 30 clients per radio
- DHCP reservation for every client is not really needed

You can try reducing the DHCP range a bit, and putting devices where you can manually configure an IP outside of that. Leave the reservations to devices you cannot manually configure.

The limit is due to how settings are stored in flash.