What's new

ASUS Lyra password length

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hasarouter

Occasional Visitor
When I setup up the password in my current Asus router a few years back I remember even though the password textbox did allow for about 20 characters, it cut off the chars above 12 characters.

Do the newer Asus Lyras ( round model, not pyramid one ) still have this restriction ? or longer passwords can be set ?

On other Asus routers you must not use more than 15 or 16 characters, so I assume same for Lyra. Not much work to test it on your own, set one with more and try what you have to enter for log in.

Asuswrt's webui limits it to 16 characters for all of Asus's routers.

Is there a way to set it to more chars (without using the webui) ?

No, because it will cause issues with portions of the code designed for 16 chars.

16 chars is enough to secure a home router. If something within your LAN is able to brute force such a password, then it means your network is already compromised anyway. Combined with a 16 chars username, that's 32 chars of entropy for an attacker to guess - it would take decades to get through that.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!