ASUS Merlin 386.2_4 AiMesh not handling Guest Network properly

ruymbeke

New Around Here
============================================
Hello,
It looks like that the 2 Guest Network of my ASUS RT-AX88U router do not appear to be available on the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node. Only the main WiFi Network is extended, not the Guests Networks. Both the router and the node are running the latest 386.2_4 FW. What is even more interesting is that the Guest Networks SSID previously setup on the RT-AC3100 (before it was reconfigured as a AiMesh node) is still showing up. Finally the devices connected to that old Guest Network SSID of the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node are not visible as connected devices on the AiMesh panel, neither on the router nor on the node. Is this the expected behavior or a corner case bug ?
Thank you very much for your advise, help and great work.
Best Regards,
Gilles

Last edited:

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Welcome to the forums @ruymbeke.

Only Guest Network 1 (GN1) is available on the AiMesh v2.0 nodes.

Please use 'Better search' (top of page) for more information in these forums.

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Part of the Furniture
============================================
Hello,
It looks like that the 2 Guest Network of my ASUS RT-AX88U router do not appear to be available on the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node. Only the main WiFi Network is extended, not the Guests Networks. Both the router and the node are running the latest 386.2_4 FW. What is even more interesting is that the Guest Networks SSID previously setup on the RT-AC3100 (before it was reconfigured as a AiMesh node) is still showing up. Finally the devices connected to that old Guest Network SSID of the RT-AC3100 AiMesh node are not visible as connected devices on the AiMesh panel, neither on the router nor on the node. Is this the expected behavior or a corner case bug ?
Thank you very much for your advise, help and great work.
Best Regards,
Gilles
The fact that guest network aimesh sync is not working properly is a known issue. It is not actually related to RMerlin branch firmware, but is something asus devs. must fix as it is a flaw introduced from with asuswrt official firmware.

JSinFCVA

Regular Contributor
Indeed. I discovered that after setting up Guest Network 2 (and verifying that it worked), I went merrily about my way. For other reasons, I later rebooted the AX86U / Mesh network and the Guest 2 SSID disappeared (no longer visible to client devices). I went back to the Router GUI and found the Guest 2 network was no longer enabled. Reenabled Guest 2. Worked fine till I rebooted the router, and again it was disabled. After much humming and hawing, I switched over to Guest Network 3 and left Guest network 2 disabled. So far so good.

ruymbeke

New Around Here
Thank you all for your feedback. Is a bug report already filed with Asus about this specific issue ?

Hazel

Thank you all for your feedback. Is a bug report already filed with Asus about this specific issue ?
Yes, Asus is fully aware of this issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!