What's new

Asus Merlin 388.1_rog and wireguard with the GT AX 11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jason1245

New Around Here
Firstly I'm new so if I've posted in the incorrect section i apologize I've updated my router to the latest version of merlin it happens to be the rog version for the time being, but the issue happens with the other version available anyway I've noticed that with WireGuard enabled on the router the speed of my connection drops by nearly half. I don't have to be utilizing my WireGuard VPN, it still has a detrimental effect if I turn off the WireGuard VPN my speed return to near enough the 1 Gbps I'm paying for. Using the same VPN servers with OpenVPN has no effect on my connection speed apart from the throughput of the VPN itself, is there anything i can do to leave the VPN on and routed to specific clients and still maintain my Wi-Fi speeds thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @jason1245.

This is a common complaint on the latest firmware. You may want to test the latest stock firmware to see if the issue has been resolved there (RMerlin will need to get the GPL drops for that firmware before his will include the fixes in these close source blobs).

I've noticed that with WireGuard enabled on the router the speed of my connection drops by nearly half

Read this, section WireGuard:

is there anything i can do to leave the VPN on and routed to specific clients and still maintain my Wi-Fi speeds

Use OpenVPN instead. WireGuard NAT acceleration incompatibility affects WAN-LAN throughput, not Wi-Fi speeds.

Welcome to the forums @jason1245.

This is a common complaint on the latest firmware. You may want to test the latest stock firmware to see if the issue has been resolved there (RMerlin will need to get the GPL drops for that firmware before his will include the fixes in these close source blobs).
The latest stock firmware for the AX11000 is 3.0.0.4.386.49599.
Is WireGuard implemented in that? I have no idea.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!