1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus Merlin ac3100 slow!!!!

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by ssorc98, Mar 22, 2019.

1. ssorc98

ssorc98 Occasional Visitor

Good day, I have been searching for a way to optimize my Asus Merlin ac3100 router, and it has been difficult to find a comprehensive guide. I get 1000 Mbps from my ISP, but only around 300-400 Mbps when connected to my router. I have the latest firmware 384.10 Beta3. Before the Beta is blamed this has been going on with other stable builds as well. Can anyone assist with any tweaks to the settings that works with improving the speed? thanks.

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

Try without QOS.

Vexira likes this.
  3. ssorc98

Thank for your prompt response Skeal, QOS is off

4. skeal

Go to Lan>Switch Control>Nat Acceleration>Enable

Vexira likes this.
  5. skeal

Oh and then reboot if it was disabled to start with.

6. ApexRon

ApexRon Senior Member

I am unfamiliar with the screen panels for your particular router so you will have to determine which screens will have the information.
    • I suspect that the router Ethernet to your ISP modem (I assume) may not be connecting at 1 Gbps. Please confirm my suspicions. If this is the case, it could be your Ethernet cable or other.
    • Please connect a PC to the Ethernet of your router and run a speed test. Advise as to speed reported.
    • Has there always been a speed issue?
    Recommendations that may resolve:
    • If you can, configure your ISP modem's port that connects to router for 1 Gbps / Full Duplex.
    • Temporarily disable IPv6. I have found that some ISP have issues with customer provided router but I have to admit not so much with ASUS.

7. ssorc98

NAT Acceleration is set to auto, no option for Enable, only disable. Jumbo Frame is disabled, Spanning-Tree Protocol is Enabled, Bonding/ Link aggregation is disabled

8. skeal

Get a direct connection to your modem and test.

9. ssorc98

The info I sent initially was based on a direct connection to my router, and then to the Asus router via LAN

10. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Check the Tools -> Sysinfo page, and confirm the following:

- NAT acceleration is set to enabled on at least one of the two options
    - The WAN link rate shows 1 Gbps and not 100 Mbps

Vexira likes this.
  11. ssorc98

There is no information on the Sysinfo page about the NAT acceleration or WAN link.

12. skeal

It's shown in this section:

Attached Files:

13. ssorc98

I apologize I was looking for the actual words earlier

Attached Files:

14. ItsMeDude

ItsMeDude New Around Here

I'm having the same issue with 384.10 on my AC3200. I'm running ~50% of my bandwidth when testing. Once I roll back to 384.9 there is no issue. I had just downloaded 384.10 beta 3 to give it a try and decided to look to see if anyone else has reported a similar issue. I tested on a wired connection, and both the WAN port and LAN port were both connected at 1000. NAT acceleration is also enabled.

Edit:
    I just flashed Beta 3, and the issue seems to be resolved. The speeds are right where they should be. The problem happened with both Beta 1, and Beta 2.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  15. ssorc98

Would you mind sharing your settings, I am trying to adjust mine to improve my speed

16. ItsMeDude

ItsMeDude New Around Here

All of my settings are pretty much default. My plan is 250mbps so it's not near as fast as yours is. Mine always tests out at ~300mbps.

You need to be sure to have NAT acceleration on though for plans that are over 100mbps. That's definitely where I'd start. That's in LAN >> Switch Control. Set it to auto. In there I have Jumbo Frames off (because I don't host any large files or net appliances), and Spanning-Tree protocal is enabled, it was by default. I hope that helps some!

17. ssorc98

Thanks, I will take any help I could get. All of those you mentioned were already set like yours.

18. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

On the WAN - Internet Connection page what are you using for WAN Connection Type?

19. ssorc98

It is set to Automatic IP

20. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

OK. That's fine.

Can you see what the router's CPU usage is like when you're downloading at the maximum speed. If hardware acceleration is working correctly the CPU load should be minimal. If there's a problem with it you'll see one of the processors at 100%.