What's new

ASUS Merlin not showing static ip addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zillah

Regular Contributor
Dear folk
Main router at home is ASUS RT-AC5300 Merlin (v384.19) this router has :
- ASUS PoE switch (192.168.10.2) connected wired to it
-Two other routers connected wired to it as well acting as access point to extend the wireless signal (192.168.10.3 & 192.168.10.4)

On ASUS RT-AC5300 under Network Map --> View List I can't find those 3 ip addresses ?

Thx

Last edited:
If those devices aren't active they may not show up. I have that with a Linksys router with a reserved IP on my network, unless there's been traffic going through it the IP won't show after a bit of time.

If when you talk about static IPs you assigned the IPs to the two other routers using the firmware on the router then what you are seeing is normal behavior because your primary router didn't assign the IPs. Sometimes they will show up and other times they won't.

If you want to see them all the time set the two other routers DHCP as automatic and then on your primary router assign the other two routers the IP you prefer.

I have that with a Linksys router with a reserved IP on my network, unless there's been traffic going through it the IP won't show after a bit of time.
I would assume other two routers have traffic as one of them TV is connected to it and other one PC game connected to it
PoE switch has trafiic passing through 24/7

Even I can't see the printer which has static ip and for testing purpose while I was printing (means there is activity) I was monitoring the list of ip addresses,,,,,printer didn't show up
Another test using ping -t still not helpfull .

Last edited:
If when you talk about static IPs you assigned the IPs to the two other routers using the firmware on the router then what you are seeing is normal behavior because your primary router didn't assign the IPs. Sometimes they will show up and other times they won't.
Let me talk about my brother printer which is also has a static ip address 192.168.10.17.
Are you saying because I assign this ip address to the printer manually not the router assigned it to it then I shouldn't see it in the list ??

The Network Map is a closed source module from Asus. Any deficiencies in it can only be addressed by Asus and not RMerlin. How it identifies clients can only be guessed at, although it is obvious that DHCP clients are being identified when they obtain their lease.

Let me talk about my brother printer which is also has a static ip address 192.168.10.17.
Are you saying because I assign this ip address to the printer manually not the router assigned it to it then I shouldn't see it in the list ??

It would be useful if device assigned static IPs always appeared but in my experience they don't always do so, at least with the ASUS routers I have used (N66, AC68 & AC86). If you always want to see the devices in the router's network map you can always also assign the SAME static IP in the primary router's DHCP section as you assigned on the device. Having the device and the router both assign the SAME IP won't create any problems and will make the devices always visible.

P.S. I also checked on my Netgear router running Tomato and self assigned IPs don't always appear in connected client listings.

Last edited:
I have found that SYSTEM LOG > DHCP LEASES to be a more complete listing. Even the static leases show up for me (I use the jffs dnsmasq.conf.add option).

Most timely for active would be System Log | Connections. After all, your NAT needs to keep track of the internal external IP and port mappings.

Just not as pleasing to look through due to duplicate IP entries.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!