What's new

ASUS/Merlin privacy concerns?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have no concerns about Asus, Trend Micro or Merlin. If you have concerns about Internet devices, move someplace off the grid, smash your cell phone (they do track you) and electronic equipment and cut wood to keep warm. Oh, burning wood contributes to global warming. Guess you are doomed!

Here's How Your Router Collects Data and Handles Your Privacy - CNET
https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/your-router-is-collecting-your-data-privacy-explainer/

Received from DuckDuckGo a link to a CNET article that includes ASUS router policies. Apart from Trend Micro AI Protection is there a privacy concern extended to ASUS itself and if so a way to "opt out"?

You have linked to the same article twice.

The Big Tech companies like Google and Amazon etc. that are now selling shrink-wrapped residential mesh networks that require a cloud account to use probably do harvest and analyze your data/behavior for profit. I don't believe this applies to ASUS networking equipment... one reason why I have trudged through the mud for the last 4 years with AiMesh.

OE

smash your cell phone (they do track you)
SkyNet (not the Merlin addon) is real!
Not just track - they listen to you too. How else do they know how to populate your youtube feed with things you've never searched for but recently discussed with friends over a pint?
people used to be worried about being implanted with tracking chips at birth. It's actually worse, because they're making us pay for and to upgrade the hardware and to transmit this data to them these past 10 years or so.

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/your-router-is-collecting-your-data-privacy-explainer/

Received from DuckDuckGo a link to a CNET article that includes ASUS router policies. Apart from Trend Micro AI Protection is there a privacy concern extended to ASUS itself and if so a way to "opt out"?
Have you read through the Asus router privacy policies to understand what, if any, information they may collect and how they may use it? Here are some links to get you started if you haven't already read the information.

FAQ - ASUS Router Privacy Policy
Asus - Privacy Policy
Asus - Terms Of Use Notice

Edit to add: And in case you missed it or didn't know about it. There is a "Privacy" tab under Administration that states the following (may be different for your router). Don't use those listed options/services if you don't want information shared to Asus/others.
Administration - ASUS NOTICE( for privacy )

Please note that users are required to agree to share their information before using DDNS, Remote Connection (ASUS Router APP、Lyra APP、AiCloud、AiDisk), AiProtection, Traffic analyzer, Apps analyzer, Adaptive QoS, Game Boost and Web history. At any time, users can search the contents of the terms at this page or stop sharing their information with other parties by choosing Withdraw.

Just asking, not that concerned. Just trying to get feedback and knowledge from the experienced members who have been around the block. Thanks.

I have received countless scam calls and junk mails even before the internet era. They know my name, phone number and address, and probably much more. Our personal data have been sold and resold for god know how many times and our governments have approved those shady practices. Do I value my privacy? Of course. But can I stop them? No. Personally, I don't believe what those fine prints have claimed or promised for a second. The corporations will promise you the sky but keep conducting their shady businesses behind the scene. Just the way businesses are, just the way humanity are. just the way we are.

Your ISP and the NSA are watching you. Walk down the main street and security cameras are watching you. Walk on your street and ring doorbells are watching you. Use a credit card and your bank is watching you. Etc....

Don't like it, it may end when you die.

I think your questions are valid. But the CNET article is dumb as a bag of rocks.

1647002286134.png

The only manufacturer CNET lists as collecting data is Arris (CommScope) which makes old fashioned cable modems which have very limited firmware. CommScope is an old line telecom equipment provider mainly of hardware, cables, etc. and not a data mining venture. And Google, which collects data on all devices unless you opt out, is shown as NO. So yes, the article is really LAME.

Asus does have some closed source apps on their routers and if anything is collecting data it would be those. Trend Micro AIProtection is certainly collecting data if you use it. AICloud and Parental Controls are also surely collecting data.

Not sure why the community isn't showing the love on this issue. But I do recall from time to time users on this community tracking IP addresses used by the router to see what these closed source apps are actually doing, especially when the router is essentially idle. You could also track yourself on your own router and report back.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!