What's new

Asus-Merlin WiFi schedule and manual ON/OFF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomazhin

New Around Here
Hello,
first I would like to greet evryone. I am Andrej from Slovenia and as many of you I use RMerlin's firmware on my Asus RT-AC56U.

@RMerlin congrats on your project and a big thanks for rock-solid alternative firmware.

Now to my issue.
I have scheduled WiFi to be OFF at night and ON by day (both bands) via settings and it works. But when I manually override this schedule with WiFi ON/OFF button on the right side it all goes back to default always ON.

Any advise how to fix this?

My aim is to have scheduled WiFi as a backbone but also to be at liberty to change WiFi without interrupting the set schedule.

Regards, Andrej

This behavior is by design. Previously it didn't override it, which caused other issues and had to be changed to the current behavior

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hello,
first I would like to greet evryone. I am Andrej from Slovenia and as many of you I use RMerlin's firmware on my Asus RT-AC56U.

@RMerlin congrats on your project and a big thanks for rock-solid alternative firmware.

Now to my issue.
I have scheduled WiFi to be OFF at night and ON by day (both bands) via settings and it works. But when I manually override this schedule with WiFi ON/OFF button on the right side it all goes back to default always ON.

Any advise how to fix this?

My aim is to have scheduled WiFi as a backbone but also to be at liberty to change WiFi without interrupting the set schedule.

Regards, Andrej

I got around this issue by ditching the gui schedule and setting up cron jobs to turn wifi on and off at the desired times. On other occasions (such as a school holiday or sickday...) I connect to the router's vpn server and use an SSH client on my phone to run a saved "snippet" to enable the wifi. For example in my case this is /jffs/scripts/wifion.sh.

Maybe this is overly complicated but I'm happy with it :)

Hi,

I have the same issue than Andrej. I also expected that the WIFI on/off button on the Router doesn't disable scheduling.
May that be solved in future by software (Merlin) or will it stay as is?

Is it a solid solution doing it with cronjobs? Does that work with the wifi button on the device?
Lets say schedule turns off Wifi at 11pm and turns on at 6am. When I need Wifi at night I could turn it on by pressing the Wifi button. I also turn of by using the button when I'm done (or not). The turn on at 6am occurs, whether Wifi is already on or off, does that work?

I got around this issue by ditching the gui schedule and setting up cron jobs to turn wifi on and off at the desired times. On other occasions (such as a school holiday or sickday...) I connect to the router's vpn server and use an SSH client on my phone to run a saved "snippet" to enable the wifi. For example in my case this is /jffs/scripts/wifion.sh.

@Skirk: Why to you need a SSH snipped for turning it on. Can't you use the Wifi button on the device?

I already have stock firmware, so I'm evaluating if Merlin and Cronjobs would work for me.

Best Regards
Andreas

Hello Everydody,

I have the same problem as all of you described, I would like to schedulle wifi On/Off and also use Button when needed..

I want to implement the procedure with the cron jobs like you "Skirk", but I'm not finding the commands to use in .sh script to toggle Wifi on/off, could you share with me your script or simply send the commands ??
I guess there is something to do with nvram set ..... but I didn't find it..

Your help would be very appreciated..

I have an Asus RT AC88U with last Merlin firmware installed on it..
Best Regards..

As an example my wifi (and led light) on script is

Code:
#!/bin/sh

wl -i eth1 radio on
wl -i eth2 radio on
logger ****Radio On****
nvram set led_disable=0
service restart_leds

I suspect that the AC88U may have different wireless interface names though, someone else here may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hi,

I have the same issue than Andrej. I also expected that the WIFI on/off button on the Router doesn't disable scheduling.
May that be solved in future by software (Merlin) or will it stay as is?

Is it a solid solution doing it with cronjobs? Does that work with the wifi button on the device?
Lets say schedule turns off Wifi at 11pm and turns on at 6am. When I need Wifi at night I could turn it on by pressing the Wifi button. I also turn of by using the button when I'm done (or not). The turn on at 6am occurs, whether Wifi is already on or off, does that work?

@Skirk: Why to you need a SSH snipped for turning it on. Can't you use the Wifi button on the device?

I already have stock firmware, so I'm evaluating if Merlin and Cronjobs would work for me.

Best Regards
Andreas

Sorry for the late reply; I had issues with the wifi button on my router for some reason. In addition my router isn't easily accessable.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

wl -i eth1 radio on
wl -i eth2 radio on
logger ****Radio On****
nvram set led_disable=0
service restart_leds

I suspect that the AC88U may have different wireless interface names though, someone else here may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hello,

Thanks for the answear, these commands worked very well (eth1 is 2.4Ghz, eth2 is 5GHZ), so my problem is resolved, I just have now to create a cron job to schedulle all that..

Thank you !!

Code:
#!/bin/sh

wl -i eth1 radio on
wl -i eth2 radio on
logger ****Radio On****
nvram set led_disable=0
service restart_leds

Hi,

I have an RT-AC68U which I would like to do this on. I am totally new to Merlin, have never used cron jobs / user scripts etc, and I'm not by any means knowledgeable about code. I had a bit of a read of some info on the subject, but I'm still not sure how to put it all together. I'm hoping Skirk, or anybody who knows what they are doing might be kind enough, and patient enough to help out a noob by posting a step by step idiots guide to make it work... pretty please...

Although I am not knowledgeable, I am good at following instructions.

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!