What's new

ASUS Modem Router with VLAN Tagging (2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aps

Occasional Visitor
We have just been moved to the (Australian) NBN with our provider (iiNet) providing an Archer VR1600R modem-router which I believe is a cheap rebranded TP-Link device. Our current set-up is NBN Modem (VDSL2+) -> Archer VR1600R Modem Router -> RT-AC86U which allows us to take advantage of the better WiFi performance and features of the RT-AC86U.

The reason for the post is that I would, ideally, replace the Archer VR1600 with an ASUS modem router but the internet provider requires that the modem router use VLAN Tagging (Id 2) which isn't possible on the RT-AC86U. It looks as if I could get an RT-AC68U with the existing RT-AC86U being then used for AiMesh but that seems like a backward set-up in terms of performance.

Is there a better ASUS based solution that would (a) allow for VLAN Tagging (Id 2), (b) provide the same or better performance/functionality as RT-AC86U and (c) be compatible with AiMesh?

Thanks

P.S. We don' use VoIP and don't have the skills to do script based updates to devices.

None of the Asus RT- models contain a modem. They are wireless routers designed to be connected to a separate modem. The Asus DSL- models have built-in modems.

None of the Asus RT- models contain a modem. They are wireless routers designed to be connected to a separate modem. The Asus DSL- models have built-in modems.

Silly me. Yes, the Archer and RT-Ac86u are both routers not modem-routers. I have a separate iiNet provided nbn modem and the issue is that the router that connects must use PPPOE with Vlan Id

Silly me. Yes, he Archer nor RT-AC86U are both routers. I have a separate NBN modem and the issue is that it requires that the router be set-up with PPPoE / VLAN Id 2 but this isn't supported on the RT-AC86U. I guess that I'm after another ASUS router that will support VLAN Tagging (Id 2) as well as AiMesh (so I can use the existing RT-AC86U as a end-point) and have great performance.

There was a similar question in another thread to which I posted this reply. The OP never responded to that so I don't know if it helped or not. PPPoE can be set on the router's WAN page.

There was a similar question in another thread to which I posted this reply. The OP never responded to that so I don't know if it helped or not. PPPoE can be set on the router's WAN page.
Thanks. Yes, the RT-AC86U is able to accept PPPoE but the internet provider requires a setting of VLAN Id 2 and it doesn't seem possible to change the VLAN setting on this router. It seems as if VLAN setting is supported on RT-AC68U but not on any other devices.

Does the RT-AC86U not have the LAN - IPTV page like the RT-AC68U does? Did you look at the image I previously linked to?

Last edited:
Hey mate,

As ColinTaylor said above, look for VLAN ID option (called VID) LAN - > IPTV. You should see ISPs like TPG & iiNet there.

Alternatively, use the "Quick Internet setup" wizard from top left. It gives you the option to select PPPoE and there you can select "special ISP requirements" and choose Internet VID = 2.

PS: Make sure your modem from iiNet supports bridge mode. Connect Ethernet cable from modem's LAN to Asus's WAN port.

Does the RT-AC86U not have the LAN - IPTV page like the RT-AC68U does? Did you look at the image I previously linked to?

Yes, I looked at the image and the LAN-IPTV page on the RT-AC86U doesn't have the VLAN settings.

Same country. Same provider. Neighbours use ISP-provided routers and live with the issues of po0r performance etc.

Attachments

• LAN-IPTV.JPG
    LAN-IPTV.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,713
Yes, I looked at the image and the LAN-IPTV page on the RT-AC86U doesn't have the VLAN settings.
Your settings look the same as mine. You have to select Manual (like in my screenshot) to get the other options.

Yes, the RT-AC86U is able to accept PPPoE but the internet provider requires a setting of VLAN Id 2 and it doesn't seem possible to change the VLAN setting on this router. It seems as if VLAN setting is supported on RT-AC68U but not on any other devices.

@aps I just looked on my own RT-AC86U and the VLAN setting is definitely there under LAN -> IPTV, as are presets for many Australian RSPs (retail service providers) including iiNet. It is confusing at first glance as the settings are not “revealed” until you select “manual” in the “LAN Port” “Select ISP Profile” drop-down, but when you do it looks exactly like the screen-shot @ColinTaylor linked to.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!