What's new

Asus N66u FTP Permission Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Decadent1

New Around Here
I'm running the latest Merlin FW and for my purposes, I need to allow my FTP permission to create directories (not even logging in as admin allows for this). This does not seem possible with the current full R/W access which I have enabled on the router, but perhaps I'm looking at it incorrectly.

So, is there a setting to allow users (including admin) the ability to create directories? If not, since I'm running Merlin would it be possible to config it somehow (I'm not experience with configuring the router since I have never done so yet, but willing to learn)? Thanks in advance!

I need to allow my FTP permission to create directories (not even logging in as admin allows for this).
Sorry, I don't understand. I can create directories with no problem. Perhaps you can give an example with the error message that you're getting.

Sorry, I don't understand. I can create directories with no problem. Perhaps you can give an example with the error message that you're getting.
I figured I was unclear in the post. I can create folders (directories) when I access the router myself. However, I'm trying to allow Ftp downloading/uploading from an phone app, but it requires creating directories first in order to function.

In the app, I put the login details to the ftp, but even the admin won't allow the app to create directories giving me an error that states I need to give permission

You need to change to the correct directory when you first connect. The default directory after logon is too high up and doesn't have write permissions.

You need to change to the correct directory when you first connect. The default directory after logon is too high up and doesn't have write permissions.
The hard drive is freshly formatted and has only 1 folder at the moment. It is this folder that I'm trying to write to. How many folders within this may be needed? I'll give it a go now and try adding more inside. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Untitled.png

Code:
C:\Users\Colin>ftp 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
220 Welcome to ASUS RT-AC68U FTP service.
User (192.168.1.1:(none)): Colin
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp> pwd
257 "/"
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
150 Here comes the directory listing.
drwxrwxrwx    3 0        0            4096 Jul 30 17:39 VERBATIM
226 Directory send OK.
ftp: 66 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 66000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd VERBATIM
250 Directory successfully changed.
ftp> pwd
257 "/VERBATIM"
ftp> dir
drwxrwxrwx   19 0        0            4096 Jul 30 17:18 ASUS
226 Directory send OK.
ftp: 62 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 62000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd ASUS
ftp> pwd
257 "/VERBATIM/ASUS"

View attachment 13877
Code:
C:\Users\Colin>ftp 192.168.1.1
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
220 Welcome to ASUS RT-AC68U FTP service.
User (192.168.1.1:(none)): Colin
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
ftp> pwd
257 "/"
ftp> dir
drwxrwxrwx    3 0        0            4096 Jul 30 17:39 VERBATIM
226 Directory send OK.
ftp: 66 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 66000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd VERBATIM
ftp> pwd
257 "/VERBATIM"
ftp> dir
drwxrwxrwx   19 0        0            4096 Jul 30 17:18 ASUS
226 Directory send OK.
ftp: 62 bytes received in 0.00Seconds 62000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> cd ASUS
ftp> pwd
257 "/VERBATIM/ASUS"
Yeah, that's basically how mine looks. I tried adding additional folders within that one just in case, but they do not show up.

Attachments

• FTP Pic.png
    FTP Pic.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 284
I tried adding additional folders within that one just in case, but they do not show up.
No they won't show up in the router's interface, that's not how it works. The router's FTP server only administers folders created at the device's mount point (Backup_Plus).

So that would be:

/Backup_Plus/TinyCam
/Backup_Plus/folder1
/Backup_Plus/folder2

etc.

No they won't show up in the router's interface, that's not how it works. The router's FTP server only administers folders created at the device's mount point (Backup_Plus).

So that would be:

/Backup_Plus/TinyCam
/Backup_Plus/folder1
/Backup_Plus/folder2

etc.
That makes sense, I'm new to FTP. Sorry if this is dumb, but for the upload directory in the app (or anything in the future), I would put /backup_plus/tinycam (or something similar if I had different directories)? I initially had just /tinycam and it was creating the "need FTP create directory permission". When I changed it to the former now, I'm getting a "connection closed without indication" error.

but for the upload directory in the app (or anything in the future), I would put /backup_plus/tinycam (or something similar if I had different directories)?
Yes that's correct. But remember that the file/directory names are case sensitive.

Yes that's correct. But remember that the file/directory names are case sensitive.
Thank you very much for the information and clarification. I think I got it to work now with your help. I really appreciate your assistance! I feel a little dumb now, hahah!

Glad to hear it's working. Asus' FTP implementation is non-standard and not particularly intuitive. It confuses a lot of people.