What's new

ASUS n66u keeps dropping connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is it just your LAPTOP that is losing connectivity? Maybe try "forgetting" the WiFi network on the laptop and connecting again, re-entering the WiFi password. Other than the reboot this morning and the Laptop flipping out, I don't see much else. It does take your ISP a while to assign your final public IP address during boot.

And since you're running Merlin 380.70, which is over a year old now, it might be worthwhile to upgrade to John's fork, which was last updated in April 2019.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v39e3.18914/

So perhaps your router is rebooting several times a day. Could be a power problem with the cord/plug. Check your uptime on the System Log page after all the devices "lose connectivity". I'm guessing it's out for 2-5 minutes (enough time for a full reboot), and then it's back until next time?

change your power adapter, may got unstable 19V supply voltage.

Most likely scenario. I am holding my breath and crossing my fingers because my RT-N66U has run 24/7 for 6 years now without a hitch...damn fine hardware. Lots of cheap replacements for Asus power brick on eBay...just be sure its for RT-N66 for the proper plug size. I highly recommend John's Fork to keep it updated and safe from current threats...looks and feels just like ASUSWrt and Merlin but current to April 2019.

Replacing Merlin's 380.70 with John's, mine required use of the "mini web server" to get around the FCC power requirements. The built in "Firmware Upgrade" feature refuses to load un-blessed firmware. Thanks to John for keeping this old bird alive and current.

Last edited: