What's new

News ASUS new router news via text...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
This is now popping up on asus.com...

1666007118648.png

OE

Did u sign up? I haven't seen this yet

Did u sign up? I haven't seen this yet

Nope. But I thought the idea has some potential, especially if you could restrict it to updates about specific routers/firmware.

OE

No potential, except for phone numbers being stolen/sold for spam lists.

No potential, except for phone numbers being stolen/sold for spam lists.

Not a problem... push news/advisories in their app, instead. The point is news you can use, not the messenger.

OE

I don't get 'push' news. I search and read what I want. Not an algorithm.

Remember, I don't use phone apps either.

I don't get 'push' news. I search and read what I want. Not an algorithm.

Remember, I don't use phone apps either.

This discussion is not about you. :rolleyes:

OE

This discussion is open. Is it not? It's about whoever wants to participate.

This discussion is open. Is it not? It's about whoever wants to participate.

You could be right... tell me more about how you search for and read what you want and why you don't use phone apps... these concepts are as facinating as they are unfamiliar to me.

OE

I go to the site I want to read news from, and selectively read. What an idea, huh? :)

I don't use apps, period. I use my phone as a phone. The probability (not just the potential) of an app selling your online soul isn't worth any convenience of having it installed on the phone in the first place. I regularly get 3 to 4 days or more battery life from my phone. If I need compute, I pull out my computer.

I exclusively only use a single computer for anything important and which I would want full control over. No phone app offers that (they first want access to your entire phone, your account, and anything else their legal teams can confuse you into agreeing to, and that's only what they state. Many apps have been known to do more nefarious things behind users' backs, as I'm sure you know).

People see my home screen with the time and date on my phone and are shocked (where are the apps?!?). I also tell them don't text me when they can call/email. And don't leave me a voicemail either (both voicemail and texts are a waste of my time).

A few (young) people have mentioned I should get up to speed with today's 'quicker' methods, but from my view, they're so far behind they just think they're ahead. I work many hours each day but get paid fairly for each minute. Some of them work from 9 am to 9 pm or later (WFH workers) and get paid for their 6 or 7 hours. I don't want to trade my methods for such nonsense.

Here's an excellent example of why 'apps' are not allowed on my devices.

Google Play apps with >20M downloads depleted batteries and network bandwidth | Ars Technica

And if you think Google's steps of booting these apps off the play store meant anything.

The representative went on to say: “Users are also protected by Google Play Protect, which blocks these apps on Android devices.” The spokesperson didn’t answer a follow-up question asking how the apps racked up 20 million installations if they’re blocked.