What's new

Asus Official Firmware - Wan down issue!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kuki68ster

Regular Contributor
Hello guys,

I am using a RT-AX86U, initially with the Asus Merlin 388.1, Asus Merlin 388.2 alpha 1, and now with Asus Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068, and i am unable to use NordVPN or Surfshark VPN, because i set up the vpn, it works for a few minutes and then it goes down...I check the settings, and i don't get an error on the VPN setting, but i don't have any internet...

In the logs, i see a "wan down' and "wan restore" appearing after these "episodes"...

I already changed the modem of my internet provider, resected the router with the official asus firmware and the issue still goes on...

Any device that i set up to use the vpn, get's disconnected, the devices without vpn work without issue (that i can see)...

It started last week, before that, didn't have this issue...

Any help will be appreciated...

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2023-02-01, às 17.33.41.png
    Captura de ecrã 2023-02-01, às 17.33.41.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 81
Thanks, Tech9, for the feedback,

I think i found the issue, i disabled the " Network Monitoring" option, last night, and i haven't had the issue again, even after a few hours...

I will see in the next days, then will "upgrade" to merlin firmware again, to see how it goes...

I think i found the issue, i disabled the " Network Monitoring" option, last night, and i haven't had the issue again, even after a few hours...

I will see in the next days, then will "upgrade" to merlin firmware again, to see how it goes...
where is that setting?

Upgraded to Merlin, and the issue is gone, just had to disable the "network monitoring" option...

The issue is gone because of disabling Network Monitoring. It's a known workaround - works for some, but not always. Current stock Asuswrt is much newer firmware with many fixes after latest available Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 and you actually downgraded to Asuswrt-Merlin.

Current stock Asuswrt is much newer firmware with many fixes after latest available Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 and you actually downgraded to Asuswrt-Merlin.
When my firmware uses newer GPL code than Asus' last release, you tell people not to use my firmware because it's using newer untested code.

When my firmware uses older GPL code than Asus' last release, you tell people not to use my firmware because it's older code, and is apparently missing (important?) fixes

You keep telling people to use a 6+ months older version of my firmware (when they could just set a fixed channel to resolve their issues), and here you just told this user NOT to use my firmware because it's about 2 months behind the fixes of this stock firmware.

You complain that I don't focus on wifi-related feedback ( I don't because I have no control over that feedback anyway), and when I come here posting a test firmware specifically to gather wifi-related feedback, you go out of your way to say "I'm gonna try it, but I'm not gonna provide feedback".

What do you want from me???

If you have a problem with my firmware, then stop telling everyone to avoid it (with constantly conflicting reasons to do so), and just move on already.

Last edited:
What do you want from me???

I was talking to another SNB Forum member - sharing my experience with specific model router and in ASUSWRT - Official section. I want nothing from you because you don't appreciate the time spend in testing and you ignore the inconvenient feedback with usual "closed source and out of my control" explanation. You mostly appreciate feedback "running for 15min with no issues". If you ask me - starting with 386 base something in your firmware consistently interferes with core AIO router functions like Wi-Fi and Asus' main selling point - AiMesh. New members stop here to ask the same questions over and over again - all being ignored. Reboot and reset fixes everything. If it doesn't - user error. What do you want from me?

What do you want from me?

Actually, I would like you to update this Wiki page:

with this statement:

"My stance with AiMesh has been the same since day one: it's unsupported, it's known to have issues, and you get what you get out of it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, since there's nothing I can do about it, then I'm not gonna waste time or lose sleep over it..."

I can collect Asuswrt-Merlin + AiMesh workarounds information from my own and others experience so we help people with issues.

Last edited:
you ignore the inconvenient feedback with usual "closed source and out of my control" explanation.
I ignore feedback on things that are outside of my control, because... I can`t change anything about it regardless of that feedback. And as I pointed out, when I asked for feedback (because there was an opportunity for me to actually have an impact on it at that time), you specifically said "I will test it, but I won`t provide feedback".

What do you want from me?
To stop telling people to not use my firmware while providing completely conflicting reasons to do so, as pointed out in my previous post. Because what it tells me is that you aren`t basing your reasons on concrete facts, you are willing to provide completely conflicting reasons just to justify your "recommendations".

You want to tell someone not to use the latest Asuswrt-Merlin release because it introduces an issue? Fine. But don't make another post a few days later saying not tu use the latest Asuswrt-Merlin release because it's not recent enough.

You mostly appreciate feedback "running for 15min with no issues".
There was a specific reason why in the past I would keep release threads open for at least two weeks, and that was specifically to gather longer term feedback.

And on the subject of feedback, don`t pretend to know what I do with people`s feedback, because you don't. In my browser I actually have a folder called "Asuswrt-bugs" where I bookmark every post that contains issues or feedback in need of investigating (and on which I can actually do something about). Just because I do not reply to every single report does not mean it's being ignored.

As for AiMesh, I already answered you in the past. Not gonna repeat it for a 10th times.

To stop telling people to not use my firmware while providing completely conflicting reasons to do so, as pointed out in my previous post.

Your 388.1 firmware is both with issues and older than stock Asuswrt available for RT-AX86U model.

As for AiMesh, I already answered you in the past.

Give an answer to Asuswrt-Merlin users, not to me. The claim AiMesh is fully supported is incorrect.

There are no issues with 388.1 firmware or the latest 388.2 Alpha firmware for the RT-AX86U model at all.

I've repeated this before, but this negative poster who doesn't even use RMerlin firmware, let alone Asus routers is allowed to say whatever they smoke at the time. The forums were better behaved and more informative before March 14, 2021. At least on those topics.

I must say that I have been using Aimesh for a long time and had no problems at all.
No disconnections and other oddities. But with the latest firmware (388_22525) on the node, it works perfectly.
The only thing I have seen is that it takes a long time to shift back to the main node from the Aimesh node.

There is no way to set AiMesh wirelessly between RT-AX86U main running 388.1 and RT-AX86S node running 388.1 unless you connect the routers with Ethernet during initial setup. Then you see AiMesh page GUI bugs showing the node disconnected. RT-AX86U main running 388.1 also doesn't see wirelessly RT-AC86U node running whatever firmware and RT-AC68U node running whatever firmware (I had one for LEDs replacement at the time). The three models are perhaps one of the most popular ones around. All three models have no AiMesh issues with 388 main + 388/386 node Asuswrt*.

Most users with experience know about the issues and use Ethernet setup (permanent or fail back to wireless) or stock Asuswrt on nodes as workaround. Users with no experience expect full AiMesh support in Asuswrt-Merlin and repeatedly ask the same questions over and over again. All of the above is easily verifiable and reported countless times on multiple Asuswrt-Merlin releases. It's not my observations only. I used to target test what people report non-working. Some of the reports I found user error and unable to reproduce, but some issues are real and officially unrecognized for a very long time.

* - tested with Asuswrt releases (main router) before and after 388.1 GPL.

Last edited:
There are no issues with 388.1 firmware or the latest 388.2 Alpha firmware for the RT-AX86U model at all.
The actual issue is related to channel selection. You might need to setup a fixed channel on the RT-AX86U with 388.1. That issue was what Asus fixed in the test (stock firmware) build I uploaded a few weeks ago, and will be present in the next GPL they will provide me.

That`s why some people didn`t experience any issue with 388.1, and also multiple users reported resolving the issue by setting a fixed channel.