What's new

Asus QoS configuration guides

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unclebuk

I am looking for some detailed guides on setting up and configuring Asus QoS on a two router setup.
1st router is AC68U with PPPoE connection to modem.
2nd router is AC88U (auto IP) with openVPN clients. (connected to LAN of AC68U)

I use apple TV for netflix and sports and wish to maximize all QoS variables to ensure optimal speeds and resolution.

Any ideas where i can find comprehensive QoS guide's for "dummies"?

Thanks in advance.

The best general QoS tutorial I've found is: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/qos-tutorial.68795/

Since streaming is very latency insensitive, QoS isn't really important. Even without any prioritization, Netflix will usually over-power everything else anyway except maybe bittorrent.

Are you having problems with streaming?

The best general QoS tutorial I've found is: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/qos-tutorial.68795/

Since streaming is very latency insensitive, QoS isn't really important. Even without any prioritization, Netflix will usually over-power everything else anyway except maybe bittorrent.

Are you having problems with streaming?
Short answer: yes. The challenge is to maintain high resolution netflix service while using a openVPN client from SE asia, in which the openVPN seems to impact my ability to stream and maintain HQ transmission.

I have tinkered with QoS and have found some common ground with streaming quality based on my internet speed of 35/15Mbs. But it is inconsistent at best.

In consideration of your comments re latency, perhaps I can avoid "overuse" of QoS and revert to basic connection settings.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

AsusWRT's QoS is a bit limited but for your situation you might try the bandwidth limiter feature. Limit all OpenVPN traffic to 30mbit(or slightly less)/10mbit.

You need 5mbit of download bandwidth free for Netflix to achieve a 1080p stream flawlessly.

You need some upload bandwidth free to avoid bufferbloat & assure that TCP ACK packets are sent quick enough to keep your downloads running smoothly.

Try to keep your QoS configuration as simple as possible.

ok, I switched to Bandwidth Limiter as per your suggestion, and have favorable results with a buffer bloat test showing an A/A+ on bandwidth limiter, (D rating on QoS Traditional).

I will continue with the settings, adjusting the DL & Upload settings according to the 85/90% values of my actual internet speed and see how this works.

Very helpful...thanks a lot.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!