What's new

Asus QoS / fq_codel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dahyippur

Occasional Visitor
Bought the refurb tm-ac1900 and flashed it with rt-ac68u firmware a few weeks back. Just now getting around to playing with the QoS settings. I'm on a 100/10 connection right now, and after an hour of tweaking I've been able to keep ping spikes down while streaming video, voip, and downloading elsewhere in the house. Probably not optimal but a clear improvement from having no QoS settings enabled. Can anyone tell me how well the built in asus QoS holds up against something like fq_codel? Also is this a bandwidth limiter for total throughput, or each individual client?

Attachments

• asusfw.png
    asusfw.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 1,455
Actually the Asus QOS works well for me. I have tested the Merlin firmware and it is good but for my system the stock firmware works great!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

@Im your Friend Ty for the links especially the heads up on cable modems. It certainly feels like I'm jumping through hoops trying to mitigate the pain of a bad modem. Cutting my download bandwidth in half nets some nice results on the bufferbloat test, but applying adaptive QoS on top of that seems to keep my ping incredibly stable. Will probably give the ER-X a spin at another location, but I really want to get the most out of this ac68u right now. Half bandwidth is not very exciting so hopefully Merlin and this script will yield some improvement. Then there is the issue of sky high ping on 2.4ghz while downloading, which I am not very optimistic about

@Im your Friend Ty for the links especially the heads up on cable modems. It certainly feels like I'm jumping through hoops trying to mitigate the pain of a bad modem. Cutting my download bandwidth in half nets some nice results on the bufferbloat test, but applying adaptive QoS on top of that seems to keep my ping incredibly stable. Will probably give the ER-X a spin at another location, but I really want to get the most out of this ac68u right now. Half bandwidth is not very exciting so hopefully Merlin and this script will yield some improvement. Then there is the issue of sky high ping on 2.4ghz while downloading, which I am not very optimistic about
Many, many modems and routers were needlessly replaced when the problem was cabling and connectors.

You can have all 5 steps done perfectly but your connection can still be garbage because of a loose connector, damaged cable, corrosion at the pole, et al. (Notice how the most probable cause of these issues is missing from that list--it's a popular oversight.)
Check layer 1 first. Educate yourself on RG-6, dielectric grease, cable installation practices (find satellite installation training; they do it correctly, where, ironically, cable companies do not), drip loops, and grounding and termination. Assume the guy installing the stuff didn't follow standard installation practices (I've not met one who has and I've moved around a lot, needing installation more than most).

After checking layer 1 (cables and connectors), look at your modem's diagnostics and statistics to check your signal levels and error counts. If you have an SB6183, look at its spectrum analyzer (browse to port 8080 on your cable modem). Visit your ISP's forum and look at what the tech-savvy people say.

After you've established your WAN connection is good, if you still have issues, check layer 1 on your LAN: cables get damaged; there are many fake Cat5 cables out there (copper coated, not copper wire), bad crimps, etc. After checking that, see if you have problems with all clients or some/one in particular and diagnose.

Adaptive QoS "Oficial" is a piece of GARBAGE, @FreshJR turned that Garbage into Gold with his script!

1. If you use Cable Modem, change it for one of these: The best Cable Modems
2. Install Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 Beta. (You have to do Factory Default Reset)
3. In Bandwidth Monitor do not assign anything, leave everything in Default. (BM is a Garbage)
4. Install FreshJR Adaptive QoS. (Install FreshJR_QOS_compat_v369.txt work in Merlin 384.4)
5. Use AdGuard DNS for Block ads! (WAN -> Internet Connection -> WAN DNS Setting)

I agree about QoS, never really used it but got my new rt-ac86u last week thought i'd try again, well if using a vpn download/upload bandwidth meters are wrong way around, the QoS stats OMG so screwed up and entirely wrong, in fact i am going to go and disable the heep of junk rite now.

AdGuard DNS? isn't that the same company as 'AdGuard' who i believe took bribes off advertisers which in essence meant these ads were getting through and not being blocked by AdGuard browser extension because the money was more important. But now they all play it down and are honest about it and usually have an option now somewhere in settings, but prior to that this stuff was big news online.

Think i might try FreshJR Adaptive QoS when i got time to install and mess about with it.

Cheers.