What's new

Asus QoS rework?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Find the Door

Is Asus ever going to change their approach to QoS overall? I know they'll be the naysayers that give the line "there's no one size fits all" but we're not in 2003 anymore working with WRT54G's - we're in 2018 using much more prolific hardware and have much better queuing discipline's available nowadays that do nearly give us a one size fits all approach.

Why is it that Asus is so dismissive as to it's current QoS implementation being atrocious? I'm luckily able to get FreshJR's script working and am knowledgable enough to do so but the vast majority are not (even some users on this forum).

I'd really like to see Asus take some initiative and actually get a working QoS that doesn't need a bazillion workarounds to get working properly for the average user. Currently if I don't utilize Merlin with FreshJR workaround I'll get extremely porous results. Also if I don't activate QoS in general same thing.

My network isn't complex and is very common:

Two Galaxy S8+'s
Two 4K OLED HDR TVs (only one streams)
2 laptops (only one is active for general browsing)
1 PS4 PRO

Gigabit down pipe and 41mbs up pipe

I run QoS to combat bufferbloat when sudden spikes hit the network due to bandwidth demand.

Last edited:
Get an Edgerouter and put the Asus in AP mode. I know that’s not what you want to hear but it’s the simplest and cheapest solution. The X can be found for less than $40 on sale sometimes and will handle 41Mbps without problems. You’ll get 20ms ping while being fully saturated in both directions.

I know they'll be the naysayers that give the line "there's no one size fits all"

The only "no one size fits all" argument is typically in response to the amount of reduction to apply to your peak speeds.

A manufacture can easily apply an automatic reduction of 80% as a worst case scenario and have it work for everybody.

I'd really like to see Asus take some initiative and actually get a working QoS that doesn't need a bazillion workarounds to get working properly for the average user.

AdaptiveQOS is currently setup to already be a one-size fits all configuration, but fixing it to work properly is fully up to Asus.

There is not much they have to do besides:

1) Tweak the guaranteed rates. It should be 8 lines of code.
(They have done this in recent updates, but the assigned rates are still TOO LOW, just make each catagory a percent of total download speed that adds up to 100% with none lower than 10%).

2) Get rid of SFQ as the new disciplines perform MUCH BETTER.

HTTPS in netcontrol && non-configurable unidentified traffic are questionable choices, but not too big of an issue.

Those two things are it. It's a simple and quick fix!!!!

Assuming Asus fixes the underlying poor configuration, the only thing a user would have to setup is enter 85-95% of their bandwidth into the boxes, or Asus can make a harsh 80% cutoff for all users.

Last edited:
The only "no one size fits all" argument is typically in response to the amount of reduction to apply to your peak speeds.

A manufacture can easily apply an automatic reduction of 80% as a worst case scenario and have it work for everybody.

AdaptiveQOS is currently setup to already be a one-size fits all configuration, but fixing it to work properly is fully up to Asus.

(They have done this in recent updates, but the assigned rates are still TOO LOW, just make each catagory a percent of total download speed that adds up to 100% with none lower than 10%).

HTTPS in netcontrol && non-configurable unidentified traffic are questionable choices, but not too big of an issue.

Assuming Asus fixes the underlying poor configuration, the only thing a user would have to setup is enter 85-95% of their bandwidth into the boxes, or Asus can make a harsh 80% cutoff for all users.
This is my exact reasoning for this thread - there's little to no reason for them not to make these changes yet the seem to not even acknowledge changes need to be made.

Its aggravating. They're literally adopting a queuing discipline away from becoming the best "gaming" router on the market.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Its aggravating. They're literally adopting a queuing discipline away from becoming the best "gaming" router on the market.

The rates!!!! Don’t forget the rates!!

I would say those are more important than the queueing disciplines!

A queuing discipline isn’t going to do magic when an entire category is limited to 1mbps for the entire family !!!

First, add this fixes that @FreshJR suggest + QOS + VPN Client fixes the reverse traffic and then at the end improve the Automatic setting in Adaptive QoS: (for people who do not use Manual settings)
  • Enable Adaptive QoS -> Select Automatic setting and Apply
Do a Speed Test (that is in the highest priority and without bandwidth limit to avoid having an error) and configure the bandwidth in Adaptive QoS with the results, but also automatically reduce the bandwidth 15% for fix bufferbloat and shows the results of the Speed Test, below Automatic settings in a new line and also to retest again, add a button that says [Speed Test], Example:
  • Bandwidth Setting | (•) Automatic Setting ( ) Manual Setting
  • Bandwidth Results | Download: 21.2 Mb/s | Upload: 4.2 Mb/s [Speed Test]
  • Shows the result of bandwidth already reduced 15% for fix bufferbloat.
  • When you Click on Bandwidth Results, it tells you that the Download/Upload bandwidth is reduced by 15% for fix bufferbloat.
I repeat again First, add this fixes that @FreshJR suggest and QOS + VPN Client fixes the reverse traffic or this improvement for Automatic settings does not help.

Last edited:
And improve the Automatic option that every day at 12:00 AM or after reboot the router and connect to the internet or deactivating or activating wan, do a speed test and to that the result reduces the bandwidth by 15% to 20%, for fix bufferbloat.

Or rename it .... it does nothing remotely close to determining your bandwidth.

It simply sets the limits to to infinity (1.2gbps)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!