What's new

ASUS quality sucks! Don't buy it!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chudak

Occasional Visitor
Hello all!

After less then 3 years my $300+ RT-AC87U router is dead !!!!

ASUS wants me to pay $140 (estimated cost) + s/h for looking at it.
Sounds like cost prohibitive offer.
So wanted to share with all.

Also, my issue is that the router stopped routing and WiFi'ing and it can be reset, lights stay on for power and connected port and that's it, nothing happens when reset button is pushed.

Did anybody has seen this? Maybe there is a h/w hard reset option (otherwise it belongs to garbage)

Thx

Hello all!

Also, my issue is that the router stopped routing and WiFi'ing and it can be reset, lights stay on for power and connected port and that's it, nothing happens when reset button is pushed.

Did anybody has seen this? Maybe there is a h/w hard reset option (otherwise it belongs to garbage)

Thx
I think Asus is not so bad except for AC87U. It was big mistake with hardware design implementation of Quantenna black box in this model. They rushed so much to be first with AC wave 2 and this is what happened. True is that newer models seems to be more reliable.
Anyway I switched to Turris Omnia and back to pfSense on my old PC motherboard.

Maybe there is a h/w hard reset option
Try this.

1) Press the power button to turn off the router and unplug any USB devices. Remove all LAN cables apart from the one connected to your PC.
2) Unplug the power adapter.
3) Press the power button to turn on the router and drain any residual power.
4) Press the power button to turn off the router.

5) Plug in the power adapter.
6) Press and hold the WPS button (not the reset button) then turn on the router. Wait about 10 seconds, then release the WPS button.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Try this.

1) Press the power button to turn off the router and unplug any USB devices. Remove all LAN cables apart from the one connected to your PC.
2) Unplug the power adapter.
3) Press the power button to turn on the router and drain any residual power.
4) Press the power button to turn off the router.

5) Plug in the power adapter.
6) Press and hold the WPS button (not the reset button) then turn on the router. Wait about 10 seconds, then release the WPS button.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Thx will try!

I think Asus is not so bad except for AC87U. It was big mistake with hardware design implementation of Quantenna black box in this model. They rushed so much to be first with AC wave 2 and this is what happened. True is that newer models seems to be more reliable.
Anyway I switched to Turris Omnia and back to pfSense on my old PC motherboard.

Yeah, I use pfSense too, and ASUS as AP but it's no good at all !

blbeczech82 < What he said... The 87 should have been recalled and all money returned to the consumer. I had one for a week when they first launched and that was enough for me instantly was returned for a full refund. Worse router i ever owned and i have had a few.

blbeczech82 < What he said... The 87 should have been recalled and all money returned to the consumer. I had one for a week when they first launched and that was enough for me instantly was returned for a full refund. Worse router i ever owned and i have had a few.

I was hoping ASUS would fix it for free, but they wanted $140 on top!!!

Hello all!

Thx
I disagree but ok... I have an N66U/AC87U/AC68U/AC88U and all are working just perfect.
And 3 years I would say it's not bad, although we all want devices to last longer.

Also think on the % of devices that fails in comparison of the amount sold... I think there are brands that have more % of failed devices in less than 3 years

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

That's about how long stuff lasts in the consumer environment - so I'm not really seeing an issue here.

Yes, the 87U has been a bit challenged, and perhaps with some patience, you might be able to get Asus to do something, but after two years - you got what you paid for.

Sorry to say... just saying Quantenna and the 87U might help when chatting with Asus...