What's new

Asus ROG GT-AC5300 extremely slow on 2.4GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

h10dinh

New Around Here
Hello,

New poster here. I was a proud owner of Asus RT-AC68U for several years until it died on me recently. I went to Amazon and bought a "Used-like new" Asus ROG GT-AC5300. Unit came and it looks new with an open box. I hooked it up and went through configuration. Out of the box, 2.4GHz was extremely slow and unreliable. I test it with a laptop within 5 feet from the router and the Speed test gave me 15Mbps/2.5 Mbps on my 100/10Mbpz Internet plan., while the other two bands show 130Mbps/10Mbps speed. Tested upstairs is worse, 2.4Ghz show 4.3 Mbps/1.2 Mbps and 5Ghz bands shows consistenly 126/10 Mbps.
I tried to change the channel for the 2.4Ghz band to 1,6,11 as recommended but not much different. Channel 4, is better 5.6/1.5 Mbps from upstairs.
Upgrade to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45717 did not help. I ran Wifi analyzer and do not see any band/channel utlization issue (I live in the wood, several hundreds feet from the next house).
Obviously this is worse than the old RT-68U that I had before, except the 5GHz is about 130% better.
Is this a defintely a hardware issue? I do not use much 2.4GHz band except some IP cameras around the house, but it bothers me that i should expect much better coverage and signal, speed with a top-of-the-line router on the market.
Should I return it? Maybe i will try the Tp-link AC5400, heard that the range is really good.

Hello,

New poster here. I was a proud owner of Asus RT-AC68U for several years until it died on me recently. I went to Amazon and bought a "Used-like new" Asus ROG GT-AC5300. Unit came and it looks new with an open box. I hooked it up and went through configuration. Out of the box, 2.4GHz was extremely slow and unreliable. I test it with a laptop within 5 feet from the router and the Speed test gave me 15Mbps/2.5 Mbps on my 100/10Mbpz Internet plan., while the other two bands show 130Mbps/10Mbps speed. Tested upstairs is worse, 2.4Ghz show 4.3 Mbps/1.2 Mbps and 5Ghz bands shows consistenly 126/10 Mbps.
I tried to change the channel for the 2.4Ghz band to 1,6,11 as recommended but not much different. Channel 4, is better 5.6/1.5 Mbps from upstairs.
Upgrade to the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45717 did not help. I ran Wifi analyzer and do not see any band/channel utlization issue (I live in the wood, several hundreds feet from the next house).
Obviously this is worse than the old RT-68U that I had before, except the 5GHz is about 130% better.
Is this a defintely a hardware issue? I do not use much 2.4GHz band except some IP cameras around the house, but it bothers me that i should expect much better coverage and signal, speed with a top-of-the-line router on the market.
Should I return it? Maybe i will try the Tp-link AC5400, heard that the range is really good.

Be sure to install/re-install the latest firmware and factory default reset the router before configuration. Then if the WiFi doesn't work right out of the box, I would assume its defective and exchange it.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!