What's new

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maverick09

New Around Here
Hi,

I'd purchased the above router back in Jan 2021 for the express purpose of it's VPN client being able to connect thru to 3rd-party VPN service (e.g. NordVPN), and allow safe-torrenting for all home network clients.

One of ASUS official firmware updates from Sep 2021 onward broke this functionality, and the VPN client (for firmware updates since that time) no longer functioned to protect clients behind NordVPN service.

Does anybody know if Merlin Firmware for this router has fixed that problem? Or has anybody recently used that particular router with Merlin Firware and successfully used the VPN client function to protect all home network clients behind NordVPN's service?

Does anybody know if Merlin Firmware for this router has fixed that problem?
Asuswrt-Merlin has its own completely different OpenVPN implementation.

I use the AX11000 with two NordVPN tunnels mapped with the VPN Director to specific hosts. Although I do not do much with torrents, I use it for safe streaming and other browsing. No issues and seems to not leak any info. I'm on the new 388.1 code.

Asuswrt-Merlin has its own completely different OpenVPN implementation.
Thanks for confirming - is it true that Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is completely (and easily) reversible? Kinda concerned that flashing to Merlin firmware would void the warranty on an ASUS router.

999 times out of 1000, at least, reversible.

Doubt they'd say anything against Merlin FW.

Thanks for confirming - is it true that Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is completely (and easily) reversible? Kinda concerned that flashing to Merlin firmware would void the warranty on an ASUS router.
You can always revert back, and it won't void your warranty.