Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 and Merlin firmware

um hombre

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks, hi Merlin :)

I am upgrading to GT-Ax6000 from AX89X for two main reasons: 1) Lack of VPN tunnels per client and 2) No Merlin firmware support because of Qualcomm chipsets.

Is it fair to assume that Merlin will be happy to support this router at certain point, like Ax11000 and Axe11000?
Or are people already aware of issues/problems with the hardware, that disqualify this router for future support?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
Is it fair to assume that Merlin will be happy to support this router at certain point, like Ax11000 and Axe11000?
No it wouldn't be fair to assume that. There are many factors, some outside RMerlin's control, which dictate which routers he chooses to support.

Last edited:

um hombre

Occasional Visitor
No it wouldn't be fair to assume that. There are many factors, some outside RMerlin's control, which dictate what routers he chooses to support.

Thanks Colin.

So lets see:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based
- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)
- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM
- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated
- I need to have one
- I need to have the time to try supporting it
- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

1) Checked
2) Checked, although we shall see if it is popular...
3) Checked
4) Have no idea
5) Well, I hope Merlin will be curious enough to buy one or we can chip in...
6) Big question mark
7) Another big question mark.

So, aside from the first 3 points, I presume once point 4) is cleared out and 5) fulfilled, 6) and 7) should come naturally.
Assuming he will like the hardware.

Anyway, fingers crossed! :)

Clark Griswald

Very Senior Member
Or are people already aware of issues/problems with the hardware, that disqualify this router for future support?
What issues?

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
AX6000 is a wifi class, not an actual router model. If you are referring to the GT-AX6000 I have done some exploratory work, but it`s too early to tell yet if it will get supported or not.

um hombre

Occasional Visitor
AX6000 is a wifi class, not an actual router model. If you are referring to the GT-AX6000 I have done some exploratory work, but it`s too early to tell yet if it will get supported or not.
Hi there Merlin,

Yes, I meant the latest GT-Ax6000 ROG router. I understand it is too early to tell if it will or will not get your support.

If you need any support, I would be definitely willing to help somehow.

take care and all the best!

BiZARRE륫

New Around Here
Apologies to bump into the convo, but I'm glad someone asked because I was searching to see if it was supported haha. Been running the gtax11000 since it came out and of course running with merlin firmware. Also picked up the Gt-ax6000. Main reason being it has 2.5g lan AND wan ports. Att fiber over provisions 1gig so I wanted to take advantage of that...2.5gig and 5gig speeds coming soon (do I NEED it....no......do I want it....yes ) Anyway, happy to see your are toying with the idea at least... will be keeping an eye out keep up the great work brother @RMerlin

John_

Occasional Visitor
Hi there Merlin,

Yes, I meant the latest GT-Ax6000 ROG router. I understand it is too early to tell if it will or will not get your support.

If you need any support, I would be definitely willing to help somehow.

take care and all the best!
You might want to check a link in this thread if you don't mind trying alpha firmware.

um hombre

Occasional Visitor
You might want to check a link in this thread if you don't mind trying alpha firmware.
Alpha already?

That is brilliant! I will wait for at least beta, though ;)