What's new

Asus router as repeater ? bridge ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mikeone

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys,

Is there a way or is it even possible to use Asus router as repeater or router to share a 802.1x network with AP-TTLS (MSCHAPv2) authentification ?

I just moved in a new appartement and my ISP will install my internet access only 2 weeks from now, here I have a Smart wifi from my ISP I can connect to it via username and password from my pc but other devices such as Apple TV Xbox ect can't.

So therefore can I use my Asus router to connect to that network and then share it from to every other devices I have ?

Thank you

Need more information about your PC and the OS you are running.
Also are you saying that the only access to the ISP provided internet is via WiFi ?
It runs rather like WiFi access in a McDonalds :) ....... only faster :)

I Have a MacBook Pro 2017 I was able to share that smart wifi via ethernet cable to my Apple TV using a vpn, what I wan't to do know is doing exactly that but via my Router RT-AC5300.

I mean my only access for the moment is via my ISP hotspot "Proximus smart wifi" I still have credentials for that aka "username & password" they will install my fixe line only in two weeks therefore my only solution for now is to use there hotspot until then.

Sorry for being off-line, had to deal with a Vet/Dog Problem :)

As this is temporary until the proper ISP setup is installed, you should be able to replicate the VPN setup you had for the Apple TV then have all your devices connect to the Router via WiFi.

Within Advanced Settings on your Router there is 'VPN', there you can setup VPN Server or Client as you need.

Do you know all the setting you used to set up the VPN connection ?
Do you know if it was a VPN Client or Server you set up ?

I am working blind as I do not have any Apple kit !!!

Last edited:
Why do you need the VPN in this instance?
802.1x network with AP-TTLS (MSCHAPv2) authentification cannot be shared that the main specification of that type of security, only solution I found is download my vpn client and install profil then connect to it and share my smart wifi through vpn.

Within Advanced Settings on your Router there is 'VPN', there you can setup VPN Server or Client as you need.
Do you know all the setting you used to set up the VPN connection ?
Do you know if it was a VPN Client or Server you set up ?

Vpn will ot grant me internet access I need to setup the router first to connect to the smart wifi and when I select it as media bridge or repeater it see's the wifi but ask for a WPA/WPA2 key ever credentials "user & password "

How can I solve that issue ?

802.1x network with AP-TTLS (MSCHAPv2) authentification cannot be shared that the main specification of that type of security, only solution I found is download my vpn client and install profil then connect to it and share my smart wifi through vpn.

Vpn will ot grant me internet access I need to setup the router first to connect to the smart wifi and when I select it as media bridge or repeater it see's the wifi but ask for a WPA/WPA2 key ever credentials "user & password "

How can I solve that issue ?

Smart Wifi <MSCHAPv2> Macbook Pro <ethernet sharing> Apple TV

Is that not how you share Smart Wifi to Apple TV? I still don’t get why you need a VPN..

As for username & password, why do you not have that information? Don’t you have to enter those when you connect your Macbook Pro to the Smart Wifi?

Smart Wifi <MSCHAPv2> Macbook Pro <ethernet sharing> Apple TV

Is that not how you share Smart Wifi to Apple TV? I still don’t get why you need a VPN..

As for username & password, why do you not have that information? Don’t you have to enter those when you connect your Macbook Pro to the Smart Wifi?

You can't share a 801.2x connection if you don't use a VPN, and I don't want to have my MacBook Pro connected to the Apple TV each time I want to use it, so what is want to do is basically "Smart-Wifi--> Asus Router --> Every other Device including Apple TV"

Any one know how to to this ?

I have the information and I already add it on the macbook it's works fine but on xbox or Apple TV it's cannot connect as it's ask only for password WPA/WPA2 not username

I mean enter user&pass when you set up the Asus as media bridge?

Edit: though you might still need to set up VPN to share it though?

You can't share a 801.2x connection if you don't use a VPN, and I don't want to have my MacBook Pro connected to the Apple TV each time I want to use it, so what is want to do is basically "Smart-Wifi--> Asus Router --> Every other Device including Apple TV"

Any one know how to to this ?
On the basis of the information you have given you will not be able to do:
"Smart-Wifi--> Asus Router --> Every other Device including Apple TV"

It was not clear you did not want the MacBook to be used as the connection.

The problem is 'what on the router is able to login to the 'Smart WiFi'' ???

The only way, I can think of, this can be done is the MacBook logs in and that gives the internet access as follows:
"Smart-Wifi--> MacBook Pro <--> WiFi or Ethernet <--> Asus Router <--> Every other Device including Apple TV"

On the basis of the information you have given you will not be able to do:
"Smart-Wifi--> Asus Router --> Every other Device including Apple TV"

It was not clear you did not want the MacBook to be used as the connection.

The problem is 'what on the router is able to login to the 'Smart WiFi'' ???

The only way, I can think of, this can be done is the MacBook logs in and that gives the internet access as follows:
"Smart-Wifi--> MacBook Pro <--> WiFi or Ethernet <--> Asus Router <--> Every other Device including Apple TV"

Thank you for your feedback I already tried your last solution couple days ago but the Asus router seem to not give internet access I set it up as router run the ethernet cable between the Macbook and the Asus router led are oke everything seem to be fine except no internet access from Asus router :(

Thank you for your feedback I already tried your last solution couple days ago but the Asus router seem to not give internet access I set it up as router run the ethernet cable between the Macbook and the Asus router led are oke everything seem to be fine except no internet access from Asus router :(
Sorry for delay had more running around to do for my Dog :(
All sorted now doggie has eyepatch & Parrot :). (Don't ask !!!)

Re: Solution not working:
That will be a routing problem.
The Router will not know that the route is through your MacBookPro.
Within 'Lan' ---> 'Route' you need to set Static Routes = 'Yes'
Then set the route to the 'world' (Internet) the MacBook Pro and the route(s) to your DNS Server(s) through that route also.

Sample Static-routes.png

Random example of Static Routes: [Quickly set up some random values for Screen cap]
192.168.1.250 is the address of the Smart WiFi (Gateway to Internet), you get to it via 192.168.1.252 (MacBookPro) in 1 hop on the Lan Interface.
208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 are OpenDNS (for example) via 192.168.1.250 previously defined route.
(Big Metric because don't know hop count, does not matter as there is NO other route anyway :) .... too small and TTL (Time to live) will timeout.]

Change IP Addresses etc as you see fit
All a little bit of a 'hack' setup but it will cover you until your ISP installs everything.

EDIT:
I am quite sure it would be possible to set up a connection via (PPTP/MS-CHAPv2) to the 'Smart WiFi' BUT it is not something I have done.
'Pptpd' is available on the Router. [Install via 'opkg install pptpd']
How did you set up the VPN to Apple TV ?
Was it via pptp, if so you have the information needed to connect.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!