What's new

Asus Router for Virgin Media with Link Aggregation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hshah

Occasional Visitor
My RT-N66U is dying after something killed its power adaptor and attached hard drive. My setup is briefly explained here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-n66u-2-x-switches.16566/#post-114128

Given that I am connecting 2 x 24 port switches to it (all desktops, Sky box, security cameras, NASs etc are wired) it needs to be be able to support LAN teaming / link aggregation, and be able to run my NGINX reverse proxy setup, which I am currently running on my NAS due to the fact that the N66U doesn't seem to be able to handle the load.

In terms of wireless range, the router will live on the ground floor of a 3 floor house and ideally cover the whole property. The N66U falls a little short, but 95% of the time still covers all the required areas.

If there is one which can take a SIM card for backup connectivity, it would be quite handy. This I would want to use when remoting into my home network if Virgin is down for whatever reason.

Also. the N66U WAN and LAN speeds (I currently have Virgin's 350 connection) are considerably reduced if I enable any kind of QoS, so the option of not being limited if I want to use it would be preferred.

The AX88U looks pretty good, but I think it may be a little overkill. Which other ones are decent, caters for a little future proofing (I've had the N66U for about 5 years now and wouldn't really be upgrading if it wasn't dying). and allows me to run NGINX and all its features, without limiting the throughput.

I am really out of the loop when it comes to all this, so any advice would be appreciated :)

The RT-AX88U HW vA1.1 would be my top choice for your requirements.

With amtm built-in to the latest Alpha 2 firmware of RMerlin supported routers, you may find something new and/or better to replace what scripts or programs you now have. :)

With WiFi 6 certification, RMerlin support and the available scripts, it is easily recommended.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-15_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.60731/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-the-asuswrt-merlin-terminal-menu.42415/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

@L&LD

Is there something specific about vA1.1?

Cheers for the links etc. I'm running Merlin atm so was going to flash that as soon as it arrived.

/Edit: Searching helped lol. A1.1 generally runs cooler so that's always a plus.

Also, it is the WiFi 6 certified version. ;)

On second thoughts, what's the next one down from this one? Only just really noticed the price and started thinking about how my entire network needs a revamp, which will easily set me back about £10k. Until I do that, something so powerful will get lonely o_O

£10k? Then the RT-AX88U is a steal. :)

The next one down is the RT-AC86U. Make sure it is produced in 2019 or later. ;)

Haha, unfortunately most of my kit is quite dated and I won't be able to upgrade for at least another year or so.

I'll check that one out, cheers :)

@hshah and just in time to test using 385.15 Beta 1 too! :)

Fitted. Time to configure :)

Attachments

• 20200201_144338.jpg
    20200201_144338.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 337
@hshah is that a metal cabinet you're putting the router in? :eek:

AKA a Faraday cage.

[emoji33]

Just thought I would post an update:

New router has been working flawlessly, and confirmed that my previous issues (constant WAN drop outs, random reboots etc) were down to my old router.

The wireless range seems to be a lot better and I'm liking the new features, namely AMTM. Other than that though, I've not noticed improvements in any other area, but that's probably down to my use case / network limitations.

Other than that though, I've not noticed improvements in any other area

If you see no difference in something after replacing RT-N66U with RT-AC86U, that something is not router related.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!