What's new

ASUS Router in Repeater Mode - MAC Filter Not Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHTech

New Around Here
Hi!

I have 2 RT-AC68U running firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842. One is the main router that is connected to the cable modem. The other is in the bedroom in Repeater Mode. I have the Wireless MAC Filter setup on the main router with a list on the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz. Even when I remove a device from that list, the device continues to get connectivity through the repeater (bedroom). I am assuming that the Repeater will follow the rules that the main router sets. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

GHTech

MAC filters, if I recall, are disabled (along with much other functionality) on the AP that is in repeater/bridge mode..

Hi sfx2000!
Correct. I have set the mac address on the main router only. The main router is the one that handles the DHCP requests (as far as I can tell), so one would think that it would check the MAC Filter before giving out an IP.
Regards,
GHTech

MAC filters, if I recall, are disabled (along with much other functionality) on the AP that is in repeater/bridge mode..

Yeah, but the MAC filters for WiFi... are for the AP that it's set in...

I'll ask the question that is probably on the mind of others - why MAC filters? They don't really improve security...

I do both. MAC address and the WPA2-Personal Key. I am open to suggestions.

Yeah, but the MAC filters for WiFi... are for the AP that it's set in...

I'll ask the question that is probably on the mind of others - why MAC filters? They don't really improve security...

I do both. MAC address and the WPA2-Personal Key. I am open to suggestions.

If you have a robust WPA2-Personal passphrase, that's more than good enough - so this actually might simplify your situation..

Understood. I also want to be able to take my son's phone off and put back on when I need to. I don't want to change the passphrase every time. Suggestions please?

If you have a robust WPA2-Personal passphrase, that's more than good enough - so this actually might simplify your situation..

Understood. I also want to be able to take my son's phone off and put back on when I need to. I don't want to change the passphrase every time. Suggestions please?

At bedtime/study time, handover the phone ;)

Technology is a poor babysitter... sometimes the best answer is the simple one.

SFX2000 is right. And besides, whether you take the phone away from him or block his access to wifi, he's going to resent you no matter what. Speaking as a one parent to another...of course. :)

Hi!

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree. But, I would like to be able to control it through technology as well. If one has the phone on the "White List", then does any of the other restrictions work? For example, the Time Scheduling and the Web & Apps Filters? The ASUS App seems to not work either in restricting.
Just trying to understand the limitations and the parameters, so that I can work around it.

Regards,

GHTech

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree. But, I would like to be able to control it through technology as well. If one has the phone on the "White List", then does any of the other restrictions work? For example, the Time Scheduling and the Web & Apps Filters? The ASUS App seems to not work either in restricting.
Just trying to understand the limitations and the parameters, so that I can work around it.

Without trying to sound blunt - it's not our job to raise your kids...

They're smarter and faster at this stuff - and they will always find a way, so the best thing is to man up and control the end-points they have access to - consoles, tablets, smartphones, etc...

Set some firm grounds - they'll respect that..

Hi sfx2000!
With regards to parenting, we are pretty strict parents, and they do not have access to any toys that we do not control. But, leaving aside the parenting part of it, I am looking for technical advice so that I know what the limitations of the device is. It is also for my knowledge.
Regards,
GHTech

I am looking for technical advice so that I know what the limitations of the device is. It is also for my knowledge.

the issue with repeaters and extenders is all devices behind the repeater or extender are stripped with the mac adddress of the repeater or extender , so you ether mac filter all the devices connected to the repeater by using the repeaters mac address or not , you cant individually filter those devices connected to the repeater

its one of the main reasons apart from halving the throughput as to never use repeaters and extenders

Hi Pete!

Thank you for the information. That makes a lot of sense. The reason that I am using the second unit in the bedroom is that I have 3 printers and 1 computer that do not have wireless capability. So, I have them connected to the repeater. I could turn off the repeater function, and use it just as a bridge, right?

Thanks,

GHTech

the issue with repeaters and extenders is all devices behind the repeater or extender are stripped with the mac adddress of the repeater or extender , so you ether mac filter all the devices connected to the repeater by using the repeaters mac address or not , you cant individually filter those devices connected to the repeater

its one of the main reasons apart from halving the throughput as to never use repeaters and extenders

I could turn off the repeater function, and use it just as a bridge, right?
if your repeater allows it as some dont , but of you can disable the repeat function and or just run in client bridge or media bridge mode it will allow thise devices to connect without other wifi devices connecting to it

Hi Pete!

Perfect. I was able to turn on the Media Bridge mode, and that worked. I will test some of the other issues that I have noticed.

Thanks!

GHTech

if your repeater allows it as some dont , but of you can disable the repeat function and or just run in client bridge or media bridge mode it will allow thise devices to connect without other wifi devices connecting to it

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!