1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS Router iOS App V 1.0.0.0.95 - How to remove some Offline Clients

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by LimJK, Apr 30, 2018.

1. LimJK

LimJK Regular Contributor

Hi,

The new version of ASUS Router iOS App now provides:
    • option to not allow remote access setup. Thank you!
    • It also provide listing of Offline Clients. Thank you!
    However, I discovered that I have some Offline Clients in the list, despite that they no more exist in my network for months. May I know:
    • where is the offline Client information kept?
    • how can I selectively remove clients that no longer exist in my network?
    PS: I have tried ... somehow Offline Clients are still there
    • remove and reinstall Asus Router iOS App, and
    • factory reset on all my AiMesh Router and Nodes.
    Thank you!

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Senior Member

I'd bet router Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting - Initialize would clear logged client data.

OE

4. monaro-ds

monaro-ds Regular Contributor

so is it 6 or 16 Devices ? my was showing 42 Devices (and i do ) but list for 16 + 10 offline ...

5. Ronald Schwerer

Ronald Schwerer Regular Contributor

@LimJK The client data could be stored in 3 places. In order of likeliness:
    1. NVRAM on the router(s)
    2. On the phone (via the app)
    3. ASUS spys on us through the app and stores it on their end.

#1 could be tested by ssh'ing into the router and type nvram show | grep {one of the offline hostnames}. If it shows up here, you could clear that name tag using the nram set command.
    If the offline hosts aren't stored on the router, #2 could be tested by installing the app on a different phone. If those offline hosts don't show on the new phone, they must be stored on your original phone. I know with Android apps, you often are given the option of deleting the app's data along with the app. Maybe iPhones do that too?
    So, if not #1, and the names do show up on the new phone, that leaves #3. And if that is true, there's another reason to never again use the app.

6. Latzz

Latzz Occasional Visitor

The offline list is visible in the web UI uder LAN settings. The part where you can click on a client and assign static IP address.

No longer using the ASUS app past couple of weeks now as it gave nothing but trouble, including silent automatic firmware update.

7. Ronald Schwerer

OK, I found it. RMerlin mentioned a long time ago that ASUS exported some of the custom client list out of NVRAM. Those lists can get too long for the nvram data structures. I found them, along with the offline hostname/MAC/manufacturer in /jffs/nmp_cl_json.js. It is a json formatted file and you can carefully edit it to remove entries, but be careful to keep it properly formatted. It is one very long line of text. I'm sure there are tools or a better/safer way to edit it but it has been a while.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. LimJK

Ronald,

Thanks for your guidance ... :( It is my fault ... While I did factory reset I restored a older copy of my dhcp_staticlist (MAC Address to IP Address) and custom_clientlist (MAC Address to Client Name) that included the client that is no longer in my network. Yes, like the rest have mentioned it appears that the Offline list comes from these lists that are not online.

9. Ronald Schwerer

Glad you figured it out. I also found some old devices that showed-up in my DHCP list (Offline section) and tried deleting them by clicking the 'X' on the right side. Although they disappeared from the list, I found that if I exited that DHCP Server screen and then re-entered it, they were still there. Seems to be a bug.
    So I edited the /jffs/nmp_cl_json.js file and removed those entries. Now they're gone from the Offline section.

10. LimJK

Ronald,

I think both the NVRAM settings dhcp_staticlist (MAC Address to IP Address) and custom_clientlist (MAC Address to Client Name) need to be updated. I agree that it is a GUI BUG, when removing a device from GUI, it should be removed it from both list at the same time.

Observation of My problem:
    • I used the GUI to update the dhcp_staticlist, so the old device(s) were remove from this list,
    • unfortunately the device(s) still exist in custom_clientlist that is not accessible from GUI.
    • I figured iOS ASUS App picks up the offline list from custom_clientlist.
    My work around: (Copy custom_clientlist to Thumbdrive, Edit to remove unwanted devices, Restore the setting as follows)
    • nvram get custom_clientlist > /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt
    • Edit custom_clientlist.txt to remove any old devices
    • nvram set custom_clientlist="`cat /tmp/mnt/ASUS/custom_clientlist.txt`"
    PS:
    • If we manually create the dhcp_staticlist after factory reset, we should not see this problem
    • Unfortunately, I have a long list of about 30 devices and I am lazy
    • I recalled long ago dhcp_staticlist used to hold (MAC Address, IP Address and Device name) now it is stored differently.

11. roguetr

roguetr Regular Contributor

The json file is a collection of custom, active and stale. To simply remove the stale entries I did:

killall networkmap&&rm nmp_cl_json.js

When networkmap comes back it'll regenerate the file without the stale entries.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

12. roguetr

roguetr Regular Contributor

I agree but you mustn't have had stale entries, which are only presented in the json file. Problem is, like most json files, it's loaded into memory and can't be edited whilst networkmap is running or it will just revert half a minute later. I had a few entries that didn't show up anywhere else.

Admittedly I still have a heap of custom entries I'd like to cull and it'd be nice if the GUI facilitated that.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!