What's new

Asus Router Model recommendation for 40 user

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asusrouterlover

Regular Contributor
I Would Like To purchase New Asus Ax Series this router can handle from 30 to 40 users (normal Web Surfing + skype)

have any suggestions for which router model will do the job

thanks

I would hope any of the AC or AX line can handle that. Any wireless router/AP will see latency go up some as more users get on due to the way the technology works but it should be perfectly usable.

I Would Like To purchase New Asus Ax Series this router can handle from 30 to 40 users (normal Web Surfing + skype)
I vote for "Asus RT-AX88U" as it's a semi SMB model - see footer - and check the tests on our forum host https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
And: Use wired connection where possible to avoid WLAN issues (especially with voice/video conference for 40 users).

30 to 40 users concurrently doing both web + skyping? The new GT-AX6000 seems like the best fit to me, if you need stability and you have the required ISP speeds too (symmetrical, required).

It's not quite as simple as that. @drinkingbird is right - the latest AC models and all of the AX models shouldn't have troubles (they're all capable of 500Mbps+)

Users or client devices? users lately can have more than one device each - phone, tablet, watch, laptop...
40 users with 2 devices is 80...40 users with 3 devices is 120...
So is it 40 IP addresses? or more? DHCP address space is the (my) first concern

Next thing to consider: Is your ISP package speed up to the task? (@L&LD beat me to this)
video chats like skype make for a lot of trafiic on a LAN even at 720p resolution (3-5Mbps per instance, or more - 40 users at 3-5Mbps or more is 100+Mbps...80 devices can require 200+Mbps)

YazDHCP and QoS are things for you to look into to possibly help mitigate issues, but ... are some of the users wired rather than wirelessly connected to the router? Wireless speeds can degrade the more devices connected to a router.

And then: does the router need some help to buffer all of the traffic? Have you set up a swap file on the router to help it move all that data through the processors?

It's not quite as simple as that. @drinkingbird is right - the latest AC models and all of the AX models shouldn't have troubles (they're all capable of 500Mbps+)

Users or client devices? users lately can have more than one device each - phone, tablet, watch, laptop...
40 users with 2 devices is 80...40 users with 3 devices is 120...
So is it 40 IP addresses? or more? DHCP address space is the (my) first concern

Next thing to consider: Is your ISP package speed up to the task? (@L&LD beat me to this)
video chats like skype make for a lot of trafiic on a LAN even at 720p resolution (3-5Mbps per instance, or more - 40 users at 3-5Mbps or more is 100+Mbps...80 devices can require 200+Mbps)

YazDHCP and QoS are things for you to look into to possibly help mitigate issues, but ... are some of the users wired rather than wirelessly connected to the router? Wireless speeds can degrade the more devices connected to a router.

And then: does the router need some help to buffer all of the traffic? Have you set up a swap file on the router to help it move all that data through the processors?
1-the user just uses a laptop no other device or cellphone
2-Qos Is very important for me
3-what is YazDHCP ?

I would use 2x access points and spread the users between them to guarantee the bandwidth and low latency for time-sensitive applications.

@Asusrouterlover, yes the GT-AX6000 is RMerlin supported.

What ISP speeds do you have? Another option may be 2x RT-AX68Us in AiMesh wired backhaul mode (or, simply in AP mode with separate SSIDs to ensure the client devices are properly spaced.

Remember, with consumer routers, ~32 client devices per radio is a good rule of thumb. So, depending on the actual users, the actual router, and the actual ISP speeds, the recommendations and suggestions can vary (a lot).

With what has been shared so far, a 250-300Mbps up and down (symmetrical) ISP connection is required for work-level type productivity and reliability (depending on if 30, or 40 devices, are concurrently connected). A bit of excess at the ISP side is needed to ensure the lowest latency possible for all (by having at least 10-25% more headroom than what is expected/required, depending on the ISPs speed variability).

@Asusrouterlover, yes the GT-AX6000 is RMerlin supported.

What ISP speeds do you have? Another option may be 2x RT-AX68Us in AiMesh wired backhaul mode (or, simply in AP mode with separate SSIDs to ensure the client devices are properly spaced.

Remember, with consumer routers, ~32 client devices per radio is a good rule of thumb. So, depending on the actual users, the actual router, and the actual ISP speeds, the recommendations and suggestions can vary (a lot).

With what has been shared so far, a 250-300Mbps up and down (symmetrical) ISP connection is required for work-level type productivity and reliability (depending on if 30, or 40 devices, are concurrently connected). A bit of excess at the ISP side is needed to ensure the lowest latency possible for all (by having at least 10-25% more headroom than what is expected/required, depending on the ISPs speed variability).
I have 500 Mb fiber optic connection
most clients pc are connected with a network cable

I have 500 Mb fiber optic connection

If it's 500/500, you may not need QoS at all. For 30-40 active wireless users support you need more radios or good access point(s). Home routers in general are not designed for this type of use. 2x business class AC Wave 2 APs may serve your clients better than single home AX class router.

Oh, you've got the RGB? Congratulations!
Tax season, I have missed some Griswald family updates. :)
"Taxes?! Taxes?! We Don't Need No Stinking Taxes!" oh wait, that's "badges", my mistake.

Update on my current router.
I've had bad experiences with lights.
My post regarding the GUI and RGB Lights:
GUI and LIGHTS

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!