What's new

asus router portforwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cat67

New Around Here
hi not sure what "internal ip address" is.

also "source ip"

trying to open ports for xbox.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, you shouldn't need to open any ports at all.

What is the issue you're trying to fix?

issues connecting to xbox live,...
All outgoing ports are open by default so if you can't connect to xbox live that suggests you have a more general internet issue. Fixing that problem will probably resolve the others.

Make sure that you have UPnP enabled on your router. What router model and firmware version do you have? There were some fixes to UPnP recently.

Last edited:
I do not have a game console but I would like to know about ports incoming to game consoles through a consumer router on behalf of others. Tell me if you are sure I am wrong:
  • While game consoles may function without opening up incoming ports, functionality is limited such as unable to group audio chat.
  • The documentation from game console companies is so poor that it could confuse experts while not providing basic information.
  • Not only do the requirements differ by game console, but they can also differ by game. Occasionally the documentation for games is actually good.
  • There are two ways to open ports incoming to a game console, UPnP or manual port forwarding. Use one or the other. What happens is that router ends up being a proxy to the game console. A connection comes in from the Internet game server comes to the router's WAN IP. The router forwards this to the same port on the game console. But does this mean that only one game console can be forwarded to per port? Yes, it does.
  • Either way, you want the router LAN IP address of the game console to not change. A static DHCP assignment configured on the router would be preferred over a truly static IP. Hypothetically this is unnecessary for UPnP, but do you really get involved with hoping all of the ports being dropped to the prior IP and added for the new IP works without a hitch?
  • An assumption is that the WAN side of the router is actually on the Internet as opposed to a private IP such as those which start with 192.168, 10 or 172. If not, there are extra steps or perhaps there is no workaround.
  • Using either UPnP or port forwarding lowers your security profile. AiProtect will ding you in the security scan for using UPnP. The risk is somewhat mitigated by UPnP secure mode which only allows ports to be opened back to the requesting device itself and not on behalf of other devices on the router LAN.
  • UPnP is the easiest. You do not need to research ports. The game console requests the UPnP daemon miniupnp to open ports.
  • Can I test this from a site like https://canyouseeme.org/ ? Yes, but only TCP, not UDP.

Let us assume you want to manually port forward for xbox live.
  • There is a drop down for xbox live from Famous Game List
  • Service Name is already filled in as Xbox Live OK
  • Protocol is already BOTH (UDP and TCP) OK
  • External port is already 3074 OK
  • Internal port is optional. Presumably, it defaults to the same as external port. OK
  • Internal IP address. Select the LAN IP address of the xbox.
  • Source IP is optional. Since you do not necessarily know the Internet xbox server IP address, leave this blank.
On the xbox, test to see whether NAT comes back as Open.

If you enable UPnP
  • And you also have UPnP devices such as Wemo
  • Check netstat for excessive connections from LAN devices to miniupnpd
  • You may want to enable IGMP Proxy
  • You may want to enable IGMP Snooping

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!