1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus router question

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by dennis richards, Dec 14, 2019.

1. dennis richards

dennis richards New Around Here

I have an asus rtn16 router with 2 laptops using the wireless network. I have an older HP laptop that I get download speeds using ookla download test of around 30Mbs. On my newer dell laptop only couple months old I only get around 8 Mbs. I dont know if it is a pc problem or a router problem. Dell says to contact spectrum as they think it is the provider problem. I have no idea which way to turn. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. AndreiV

AndreiV Very Senior Member

Well that sounds typical of Dell support.

Obviously if you have a device obtaining 30Mbps and the Dell can only manage 8Mbps the issue is not with your provider, they don't provide your WiFi connection.

You need to check the Dell network settings/NIC/drivers and any security software that could cause a slow connection.

3. dennis richards

dennis richards New Around Here

I have tried disconnecting the wifi and using the ethernet connection out of my router and the speed is basically the same. I then tried to connect ethernet coming out of my modem from my provider but my dell wants to know the isp address and password from my provider which I do not know. I will wait till Monday to contact them to get that info.

4. Digitald00d

Digitald00d Regular Contributor

You have a buddy with a totally different Operating System? AppleOS or Linux? They could plug into your Ethernet and at least divide it into a router/provider vs OS issue. If theirs works ok on Ethernet, then try wireless. Eliminate the issue in big chunks first to save you some calls and finger-pointing.