What's new

Asus Router recommendation?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

armsAC3100

Regular Contributor
I have been looking at replacing my main router (RT-AC3100 running Merlin 384.17) and moving the RT-AC3100 to a new location as an Ethernet connected access point to get better coverage in my house. I currently have a RT-N56U (also running Merlin) at that location, but its WiFi radio coverage is quite weak (as it was when it was my primary router years ago that I replaced with the RT-AC3100).

While looking at online reviews I ran across a site that has, what appears to me, some some of the best technical WiFi router analysis that I have seen. It shows the RT-AC86U to be an excellent option given its performance / price.

The review is at:
It is testing done by a Danish Engineer who appears to know his stuff.

It is a long review, but the interesting performance and wifi radiation pattern testing and results begin at about 36 minutes into the review.

I would be interested in hearing from folks with real life experiences / opinions.

Al

You will get many opinions. But, my AC86U is my third Asus router and I am very pleased with it! The prior routers were the N66U and AC66U_B1.

Here is a good comparison between the similarly priced RT-AC86U and the RT-AX58U.
If you have the money go for the RT-AX88U. It gives you the performance of the AC86U and adds all the latest feature such as WiFi6 and more memory to run all the custom scripts you want.

I went to the AC86U from the AC68U a few years ago and it's still going strong (used an N66U before that, which I've still got in its box). I recently dusted off the the AC68U and am now using it as an AiMesh node upstairs.

If I had to replace the AC86U today, I would likely go for the AX88U.

I have an ASUS AC87U, but my understanding from the last merlin fw update was support may be at an end now? Given how ASUS dropped the AC87U's chipset pretty quickly.

What are some of the current ASUS routers that are the best (highest performing/most secure) solutions, that should be way more future proof? For running with merlin firmware??

tbh the only reason I still have it is because of the asus-merlin firmware and AMTM w/ Diversion/Skynet. I previously would achieve similar things manually with all kinds of tools, but its like a part-time job...

Last edited:
two 86u units here, both running great with no issues! Highly recommended after coming from the dd-wrt world previously.

@ninjada, the Asus RT-AC87U has been given the most support from both Asus and RMerlin vs. any other Quantenna based router available from that time. The support does seem to be drying up (or, it may just be a labor issue with the COVID crisis at this time), but it is still supported on the RMerlin 384.13_x builds.

The highest performing (and of course most secure) RMerlin powered Asus router right now is the RT-AX88U.

If the RT-AC87U still does what you need for the foreseeable future, there may become available more current/powerful models to consider too in the next handful of months.

If you have the money go for the RT-AX88U. It gives you the performance of the AC86U and adds all the latest feature such as WiFi6 and more memory to run all the custom scripts you want.

I have been looking at the RT-AX88U along with the RT-AC86U. I guess the decision comes down to newer technology at a price.

I have been shopping the RT-AX88U and Amazon has been sold out. B&H Photo claims to have them in stock for $349. Advantage with B&H for me is a $25 sales tax savings. They offer free shipping.

Anyone have personal experience with buying (good or bad) from B&H Photo?

I bought my AC86 from them and I have no complaints. Item was delivered as promised.

That being said nothing beats the convenience of dealing with Amazon if you change you mind and need to return an item. This really doesn't apply to you since Amazon is out of stock but if you are not in a rush wait for Amazon and if you link of this site the web master gets a small commission to keep this forum on line.

I have been looking at the RT-AX88U along with the RT-AC86U. I guess the decision comes down to newer technology at a price.

I have been shopping the RT-AX88U and Amazon has been sold out. B&H Photo claims to have them in stock for $349. Advantage with B&H for me is a $25 sales tax savings. They offer free shipping.

I have had many good experiences with B&H Photo over the years. I have never had any issues with their performance.

Did you also check out Micro Center? They have them usually in stock.

AX-88U is nice, but twice the price of AC86U.
IMHO not worth it, as you are already getting "better than 1Gbps Ethernet speed" via Wifi on AC86U, and OpenVPN performance is good.

@Volfi that is not true. 'better than 1Gbps' over WiFi isn't possible with a mere client device (none have a 4x4:4 connection possible).

OpenVPN performance (at least a single VPN) will be identical. :)

ac86u.png

AC86U

@Volfi connection rates (theoretical) and actual throughput rates don't match in real-world tests. :)

And again, unless you are simply linking up two RT-AC86U's together wirelessly, there are no other 4x4:4 clients out there to attempt this with.

On the other hand, the RT-AX88U can give more than GB Ethernet performance between two wireless clients with each having only a 2x2:2 AX adaptor.

That is right, 2x2 AX is pretty common in notebook Wifi cards.

I have had many good experiences with B&H Photo over the years. I have never had any issues with their performance.

I did place an order with B&H Photo after reviewing BBB & user reviews. Order was easy. My credit card was charged almost immediately. Two days later, no shipping details. I canceled order and they credited my card quickly. I suspect that they did not have any to ship. In any case good business practice.

I have placed an Amazon order for an RT-AX88U which will not be available until mid-July. I will be hit with sales tax, but I will not be charged until product ships. I can live that long with current equipment (hopefully).

I decided on the RT-AX88U because it does 160 MHz. Both of the PC in the house do 2x2 160Mhz. Should help the NAS backup times.

"I guess the decision comes down to newer technology at a price" And do any of your clients support/profit from the AX88U's expensive technology? Because when your clients might support the technology, where will the AX88U be then on the end-of-life list?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!