What's new

ASUS Router RT-AX89X cutting off connectivity constantly.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matt King

New Around Here
ASUS Router RT-AX89X cutting off connectivity constantly.

I have had this problem of RT-AX89X disconnecting intermittently for a long time. It never occurred to me that it was due memory leaks that resulted in crashing. It took me a while to report it to ASUS support. And they pretended that they never heard of such a complaint.

They kept asking me to send the system log for which they never gave me any conclusive diagnosis. It was after I stumbled onto the SNB forum that it dawned on me what the problem was. I am going to send a nasty email to Asus support for their disingenuity.

Some users have suggested that some firmware would resolve this problem. Can anyone attest to this? Other possible suggestions are welcome.

Thx

@Matt King, please feel free to share your router's log when this is happening.

I've been using this router for years and have never had a problem with it restarting on its own. I am now using the latest firmware but have never had any problems with previous firmwares

In addition to what others have suggested, some data on which firmware versions you've been running would also be useful. There was an extensive beta suite of firmwares for that router and some of them had memory leak issues. But, they don't seem to be present in the latest official release. I ran just about every one of the betas on my router, and I did have one that caused a reboot every day or so. But, it was many months ago, and I wouldn't be able to tell which version had that issue. In fact, the current official firmware has been the best for stability since I first bought this router around 4 year ago. So, if you're having lots of disconnects, I think you'd be in the minority.

One thing that came to mind is are you using the DFS channels in your wireless settings. I live close to a weather radar, and I did have lots of clients disconnecting randomly when I tried using that feature.

In addition to what others have suggested, some data on which firmware versions you've been running would also be useful. There was an extensive beta suite of firmwares for that router and some of them had memory leak issues. But, they don't seem to be present in the latest official release. I ran just about every one of the betas on my router, and I did have one that caused a reboot every day or so. But, it was many months ago, and I wouldn't be able to tell which version had that issue. In fact, the current official firmware has been the best for stability since I first bought this router around 4 year ago. So, if you're having lots of disconnects, I think you'd be in the minority.

One thing that came to mind is are you using the DFS channels in your wireless settings. I live close to a weather radar, and I did have lots of clients disconnecting randomly when I tried using that feature.
I only use(d) official firmware, never used beta.
1708444671713.png

I live 8 kilometers from an airport but it keeps holding the 160 all the time.

I had the reboot error before too, but after the last Update "3.0.0.4.388_32407" and a factory reset the reboot bug is gone.
You must do a facory reset to get the reboot bug away!

And now I got a other Bug. I'm not able to switch from 80mhz to 160ghz, it stays fixed on 80ghz but all other Routers I have tested are working with 160ghz. There is no airport, radar, Army, police station or firedepartment in the near, I live deep in the country side.
There is a other bug also new, after some Hours, after a fresh reboot, some android apps(not all) was not able to connect propertly to there image Server and Microsoft Authenticator was not able to give access.
It looks like the answer will be lost on /dev/null no logs nor hints also the 160ghz problem.
The country code is switching also to "GB" after a while without beening rebooted and is also not in the logs.
As you can see rare firmware Updates, ASUS is not working a lot on the AX89X to deploy new Firmwares and it let feel that the router was already depricated. I got a RT-AX92U, too that get 10 times more Updates without beeing that buggy like the AX89X.

I have ordered yust yesterday a new router to kick the AX89X away, the benefits was not big enough to ignore the lack of support.