1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus router speeds with VPN

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Radleydm, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Radleydm

Radleydm Occasional Visitor

My first post so please excuse if anything is not correct.
    I am in Portugal and I currently have an ASUS RT-AC66U-B1 to which is connected my 2 IPTV MAG boxes and my desktop. All connections are wired.
    The ASUS, which has Nord VPN is connected (WAN) to the ISP router (FiberGateway GR241AG) as the ISP (MEO) will not allow a VPN on that router.
    I have 500Mbps to the ISP router.
    I am only getting ±40Mbps on my desktop which, as I say, is connected to the ASUS.
    When I connect the desktop direct to the ISP router with no VPN I get ±490Mbps.
    When I connect the desktop to the ISP router and put Nord VPN on the desktop I get ±120Mbps.
    Clearly the ASUS is restricting the speed to the MAG boxes and the desktop to 40Mbps.
    I am told that an ASUS RT-AC86U with AC2900 feature and with VPN (Nord) would allow more speed to the MAG boxes and the desktop.
    Does anyone have any information which would confirm this?

Alternatively can the RT-AC66U-B1 be tweaked to increase the speed? I have to say that my knowledge is limited.
    Thank you.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

No. That is the maximum speed that model is capable of. The RT-AC86U uses hardware encryption and is capable of > 200Mbps (dependant on the VPN server location and speed).

3. Radleydm

Many thanks.
    The VPN server location is in Portugal (Nord have 32 here) but I am not sure how to check their speeds. Often Lisbon which is about 150 kms away.
    Since I get over 100Mbps on the desktop when it is connected directly to the FiberGateway but with VPN (on the desktop) Could I hope to get that sort of speed from an AC86U?

4. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

5. ColinTaylor

Using the NordVPN client on my desktop PC I can only get 200 Mbps on any of their servers. So even if my router was capable of going faster I would not see any more than that because the server is now the limiting factor.

L&LD likes this.
  6. Radleydm

Again thank you.
    My first encounter with the forum and my questions answered so quickly and efficiently.
    I will now buy an RT-AC86U (AC 2900)

7. ColinTaylor

You're welcome. :)

P.S. If you have questions in the future try to post them in the correct forum (e.g. "ASUS AC Routers & Adapters" or "VPN") because you will get a faster response. This forum is for "Hardware routers, wired only".

L&LD likes this.
  8. Radleydm

Thank you - will do.