What's new

ASUS router with Starlink - conflicting WAN IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can certainly plug my laptop into the Ethernet port and access 192.168.100.1.
Check what IP address your laptop is assigned.

But config changes are only allowed to be done via mobile - iOS or Android.
What a bizarre system. Oh well, do that then. Leave the laptop connected to satisfy the requirement for an Ethernet attached device and then connect to the SL's WiFi to change to bypass mode.

Ok, so I was able to get the SL into Bypass mode - oddly it allowed me to do so when there was nothing attached to the Ethernet port. (Everything I've seen says to attach 1st). So I will see what happens in the early AM when I can grab the ASUS network.

Ok, early AM now. Attaching the SL in Bypass Mode and rebooting both the SL and ASUS router, seems to have worked. Now my ASUS network is happy and working away with the SL as the ISP. I can't believe Bypass mode could be enabled without an Ethernet device being plugged it. Wish I would have known that (or tried it anyway) 24 hours ago.

BTW, years ago I bought my CM unit which was/is a combo CM and wifi device. The combo CM and wifi device worked but it had recurring wifi issues. This combo CM unit has served me well once I put it in bridged mode with the ASUS running wifi. I suspect the SL experience will likely be similar.

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it. I'll let you know later what I think of this set up after running it for several days. I still have time to decide whether to keep the SL or return it for a full refund.

Bill

That's a common occurrence with them due to the heat from the cable modulator Ina addition to the heat from the WiFi chip. They work well for awhile and then you start seeing WiFi drops. They're ok if you're renting one because you can simply swap them out with the provider. And do what you did with bridging it and putting a router onto it for WiFi.

I recently moved to an Internet challenged area. I ordered a Starlink and am using it now (in Portability mode for the time being). Much better than the 10Mb DSL that was available…
For now I am using the router that came with SL. Pretty good coverage - but soon I will be running the cables and power to a closet to finally install my Asus routers (AX88U and a few AX58U meshes).
Thanks for the information!
BTW, Did you setup the static routes to access the SL management via the app?
From what I have read, you need 2 routes - a 192.168.100.1 and a 192.168.100.24.

Did you setup the static routes to access the SL management via the app?
From what I have read, you need 2 routes - a 192.168.100.1 and a 192.168.100.24.

Yes, I did. And I can successfully get to the app. I think you'll find your coverage will be even better with the Router. SL's wifi coverage was decent but ASUS is better.

I'd be interested to see if you can make this work without the static routes. Of the face of it they make no sense from the Asus' perspective. Just like accessing a cable modem on 192.168.100.1 a static route isn't usually necessary because the default gateway will send traffic to the WAN anyway. The only time I can think a static route would be required is if you're using the VPN client on the router, which changes the default gateway. As for the route for 192.168.100.24, that makes no sense at all.

The static routes are not needed for normal wifi activities. The static routes do allow you to get to the SL Stats.

192.168.100.1 => asus router LAN IP
192.168.100.24 => Assign an IP to your phone

The static routes are not needed for normal wifi activities. The static routes do allow you to get to the SL Stats.

192.168.100.1 => asus router LAN IP
192.168.100.24 => Assign an IP to your phone
As I said, for an Asus router that makes little sense. 192.168.100.x is normally accessible through the default gateway. 192.168.100.24 doesn't "assign" anything, it's a route. Still, stranger things have been known when dealing with bespoke ISP equipment.

Are you plugged directly into the router from your Starlink dish? Or are you connecting via Starlink provided router? I have Starlink and you need to be connected directly from the dish to your ASUS router bypassing the Starlink provided router

Are you plugged directly into the router from your Starlink dish? Or are you connecting via Starlink provided router? I have Starlink and you need to be connected directly from the dish to your ASUS router bypassing the Starlink provided router
I'm not quite sure what you're asking so hopefully my answer is appropriate.

There are two generations of Starlink equipment. Gen 1 has a round dish with a router than has an Ethernet port within it. In this scenario, one would be plugging the Ethernet cable directly from the Gen 1 SL router to the ASUS router (or any other brand for that matter).

Gen 2, which I have, has a rectangular dish and a router than does not have an Ethernet port. Therefore, Gen 2 requires a separately purchased Ethernet Adapter. In this scenario, the SL PoE cable connects from the dish to the Ethernet adapter, then from there to the SL router. The ASUS router is then plugged into the Ethernet port of the adapter.

I'd be interested to see if you can make this work without the static routes. Of the face of it they make no sense from the Asus' perspective. Just like accessing a cable modem on 192.168.100.1 a static route isn't usually necessary because the default gateway will send traffic to the WAN anyway. The only time I can think a static route would be required is if you're using the VPN client on the router, which changes the default gateway. As for the route for 192.168.100.24, that makes no sense at all.
I tend to agree. I am going to initially set it up without the static routes. At my previous house I was always able to get to my Arris modem at 192.168.100.1

What tends to confuse me the the second line:

Code:
192.168.100.24 ==> assign an IP to your phone
Asus has this in their FAQ.
Im sure my phone will be on the 192.168.1.X LAN. Not sure what the above really accomplishes. Maybe another management interface to Starlink for the “app”?

Just to close the loop on what @ColinTaylor and I were discussing on some recommendations about setting up a static route to the Starlink router (192.168.100.1).
I setup my Starlink to bridge mode and connected my AX88U (running 388.1 B2).
Did NOT setup a static router - and was able to access the SL router just fine. Both via the web interface and the SL app on my phone.

My understanding is that the Static Routes are needed to get to the Statistics.

Default is out the WAN interface. That's all that's needed to reach anything on the outside

As long as you don't have 192.168.100.x on your LAN or known via any other path, the default route pointing to the WAN will take care of it. As far as the router is concerned, 192.168.100.x is an internet route known only via the WAN port. Now if for some reason you wanted to use 192.168.100.x on your LAN you'd need it, but that wouldn't be a good idea anyway, why cause unnecessary conflicts.

I read that as well. I did setup a static route - but still could not get statistics.

Interesting that the Starlink iOS app show statistics. Just not the Web UI in my case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!