What's new

Asus Routers and IPv6 static routes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

Is there any way to define static routes for IPv6 addresses end scopes/prefixes on Asus routers? I'm currently running Asus Merlin 384.10 on a Asus RT-AX88U and I have a Palo Alto VM-300 series firewall running IP-Sec Site-to-Site VPN tunnels and currently I have to set manual routes on all my clients in order for routing traffic that is supposed to use the IP-Sec tunnel to actually hit my Palo Alto Firewall instead of just using the default gateway and be routed over the Internet.

I had the exact same setup previously, but on IPv4 and then I just went to LAN-settings on my RT-AX88U and defined a static route for 172.30.2.0/24 to be routed to 172.30.66.111 which was the Palo Alto interface in the same subnet.

The page for static routes in the WebUI does not let me set routes for IPv6 so I can't replicate this behaviour in the WebUI. Otherwise it would be as simple as telling that the remote IPv6 Prefix is behind the IPv6 address of my Palo Alto Firewall.

Is it possible to achieve this through SSH or am I forced into doing manual routes on each client?

You can via ssh. I know this is a very late response. I do not know how at this time to make them "permanent". I've listed an example below. The route is cleared once the router is reloaded though. I have not found a way to make it stay. I came here looking for an answer to that when I found your question.

route -A inet6 add 2606:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:1000::/68 gw 2606:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::2 dev br0

If you have a USB stick plugged into the ASUS, you can create "init.d" startup scripts.

I have similar route commands on mine, and are run on reboot no problem.

It was ages ago I did it, and can't remember the complete procedure to enable it, but I just googled and found this:

If it doesn't work, let me know,k and I'll try and remember what procedure I followed!

Cheers, Jamie

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!