1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS ROUTERS CFE DUMPS COLLECTION

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by hggomes, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dribgnikcom

dribgnikcom Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I have a bricked RT-AC3200. I would like to desolder the spansion parallel flash chip and have it flashed.

My question is, what do I have it flashed with exactly? Will the .trx file from the Asus website suffice, or does it need an entire dump from a working router?

Thanks

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. cjake

cjake New Around Here

I would like to obtain a CFE dump directly from a genuine RT-AC68U in my possession, for use on a TM-AC1900. Does the hardware revision of the RT-AC68U I use matter in this case, and if so, which hardware revisions will work?

4. Mister X

Mister X New Around Here

You can follow the instructions posted here, just remember that you need to edit the new CFE with the correct values from your router (the MAC addresses).

@Pir8pete
    Can you please send me a private message as I'm unable to send you one? I have some questions that I've also posted on another thread that was locked, unfortunately, so I don't think that you've managed to see my post..

5. Amin R

Amin R New Around Here

Thank you Mister X. I was able to finally flash the FW yesterday. I was following these instructions: http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/, and I was confused on the Putty step where you write "cat /dev/mtd0 > original_cfe.bin". What I didn't realize is that the file was copied to the temporary directory I was in. A quick ls command showed it there! I used the online hex editor, and edited the CFE rather easily. Everything after that was a breeze!

Thanks again!

6. Murtaza12

Murtaza12 Regular Contributor

I've got an AC3200 here on the latest stock ASUS firmware which is 3.0.0.4.382.19466.
    I ran the bl_version command through telnet and got this:
    [email protected]:/tmp/home/root# nvram get bl_version

The latest CFE for EU in the main post is 2.0.0.3, I've got 2 questions:
    1) Are CFE downgrades possible since the one I'm on is newer than the one available in the main post?
    2) Do I need to downgrade my firmware first or can I do it on the existing FW which is fairly new (8th Dec)?

7. Murtaza12

Another question for my AC66U, the current CFE is 1.0.1.4 (US), and it seems that 1.0.1.8 (US) is the newest one available.
    Main post says it'll only work with HW Rev 1.50 and above, how do I know which one my router is? The box and the router themselves don't mention it anywhere and I did confirm using telnet that it has a Zentel flash chip.

8. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

Why do you need to mess wth either? Too much danger in bricking them.

9. Alex Meijer

Alex Meijer New Around Here

Got my AC68U yesterday and noticed i could not downgrade it using the web interface.

Dumped the CFE and it's available here on my dropbox : RT-AC68U_CFE_1.3.0.7.bin

Code:
    ASUSWRT RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4 Sat May  7 06:47:04 UTC 2016
    boardrev 0x1103
    HW_ver 1.95
    bl_version 1.3.0.7

Q: Can i downgrade my router to a lower version CFE? (And the use the CFE's miniweb recovery mode to flash a lower firmware?)

10. s3n0

s3n0 Occasional Visitor

- model: RT-AC66U_B1
    - HW rev.: B2
    - CFE ver. (NVRAM bl_version): 1.1.2.2
    - flash chip: Mxic NAND
    - land: EU

MAC addresses and secret code are replaced by "X" characters. I tried to extract the CFE from the router via the "dd" command as well as the command "cat" - both showed the same hash checksum.

Download: https://ulozto.net/!F9bOJiTSCjv3/rt-ac66u-b1-hwrev-b2-cfe-1-1-2-2-zip

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  11. chipped

chipped Occasional Visitor

I think I bricked my Router, I updated the CFE without modifying it first, didn’t even take a dump.

I know I’m a dumbass, is it bricked and do I need to send back to Asus for warranty now?

Cheers

12. dribgnikcom

dribgnikcom Occasional Visitor

Do I just flash the CFE to a chip I have desoldered in order to de-brick?

Thanks

13. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

No, you don't return a router for warranty that you bricked when flashing it with non-factory firmware. You learn a lesson and buy a new router.

14. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

It's bricked.. Lesson learned !! :eek::rolleyes:o_O

15. Bigtrout

Bigtrout Occasional Visitor

CFE request

1.0.2.0 or 1.0.2.1 from a real workin rt-ac68u, NOT one from the collection

Im curious to see why the goggles99 CFE works for converting tm-ac1900 to an rt-ac68u, the goggles99 cfe was taken from a real working 68u.

Id like to compare some other real cfe files from working rt-ac68u routers.

Thanks

16. Alex Meijer

There is clean CFE in the /rom/cfe folder on your router if you are running the latest Merlin or Asus version.
    There is also code from Asus in linked object on the RC file that seems to want to MTD-Write cfe into the device.
    I don't really like these latest firmwares so i'm running with this removed for now.

Goggles99 version probably works because it is a real AC68U dump with proper manufacturer/id settings inside.
    The others may not be. I'm not sure Asus checks the manufacturer bits to match properly and disable aimeshing with other devices.

st1000 likes this.
  17. YODA

YODA New Around Here

Good afternoon.
    I apologize for my English (I write through Google translator).
    There is an asynchronous router that has been disconnected from the network, after turning on the router does not boot. Lights 1lan, 2lan + wan. at the press of buttons does not respond. Replaced the Macronix MX25L1606EM2I-12G with a stitched dump, nothing has changed. Connected via TTL, the console is empty. Advise something.

18. Alex Meijer

My device is fine, and not broken.
    I can flash 380 (the Asus Beta) using the miniweb CFE over http. There is a very short window (it seems on purpose) where i can get the webpage to show up and flash a trx file.

When i go lower than 380, the router ends up accepting the file, and then flashing it in an endless bootloop (I can see it attempts to boot up, and the swich resets etc. but then it reboots..)
    I have read reports that waiting hours eventually the router will accept lower firmware, maybe i am too impatient and this bootloop is normal?

19. YODA

YODA New Around Here

Hey. The router may not start due to an incorrect revision of the CFE?
    Lights LAN1, LAN2 and WAN.

20. Murtaza12

Same here. Flashed my AC66U with the incorrect CFE (I think), and for me it's the exact same set of lights showing on the router.
    Completely dead otherwise.

21. YODA

YODA New Around Here

it happened after the firmware? before this all worked?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!