What's new

Asus Routers have always had unstable Wifi...my experience compared to Netgear

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sachb

Hello folks, as you know, I've have been using Asus routers for many years, from Asus AC68U to AC88U & now the AC86U. I have loved the UI and the features those routers were packed with.

But overtime when the AC88U died, due to heating issues I bought a Netgear R7800 years back, that router even today after many years has been rock solid and never once had wifi issues such as speed drops or slower than expected speeds.

Right now I have the Asus AC86U, and it seems to work fine, but the 5 GHZ speed is a bit slower than expected and varies between 200-480 mbps, note this router is connected to a Wifi extender, and the extender is connected to the main router (Netgear R7800).

Asus router when connected with ethernet recieves speed around 580 mbps, but on wireless it varies between 200-480 mbps. Today morning I was lucky to get 580 mbps which is the same as the wired speed. Isn't this weird?

I've set the router to DFS channel and N/AC mixed and also set the bandwidth to 80 MHZ, but even after doing this the speed varies between 200-480 mbps. Whereas the netgear is rock solid at 630 mbps through wireless.

Hello folks, as you know, I've have been using Asus routers for many years, from Asus AC68U to AC88U & now the AC86U. I have loved the UI and the features those routers were packed with.

But overtime when the AC88U died, due to heating issues I bought a Netgear R7800 years back, that router even today after many years has been rock solid and never once had wifi issues such as speed drops or slower than expected speeds.

Right now I have the Asus AC86U, and it seems to work fine, but the 5 GHZ speed is a bit slower than expected and varies between 200-480 mbps, note this router is connected to a Wifi extender, and the extender is connected to the main router (Netgear R7800).

Asus router when connected with ethernet recieves speed around 580 mbps, but on wireless it varies between 200-480 mbps. Today morning I was lucky to get 580 mbps which is the same as the wired speed. Isn't this weird?

I've set the router to DFS channel and N/AC mixed and also set the bandwidth to 80 MHZ, but even after doing this the speed varies between 200-480 mbps. Whereas the netgear is rock solid at 630 mbps through wireless.
Keep in mind that when using the router as a WIFI extender, WDS or mesh node the throughput is halved unless it is a tri-band router on each end. Just the way WIFI works not a brand fault. Put the netgear in the middle and you will get the same results.
I am not sorry that I use Asus. I've had my fill of issues with Netgear and other brands that drop support before the model is obsolete.

As indicated, Wifi Extender = bandwidth divided by two, that's your problem.

I have no problem getting about 800 Mbps while downloading a file to my laptop while connected to an Asus RT-AX88U:

1645154453432.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!