What's new

ASUS routers missing (not working) features

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

peraburek

Hello everybody,

I would like to hear, what features do you miss with your ASUS routers, what features are not working properly

here are few that I am missing for personal/small-business use

1. Dual WAN issues:
  • Failover not working properly (DHCP with 0.0.0.0 is considered as working Internet connection - even it is clear there is a problem)
  • Failback not working properly (LTE usb stick connected but no more data traffic allowed due to datacap - considered as working Internet connection)
  • "Enable Ping to Internet" watchdog - only one target to check (multiple targets would be far better, because one target could easily have only one missed ping, still ASUS router would try to switch connection)
  • no options to set how many missed pings should initiate connection switch
  • ASUS wan-duck code interfering with creating own dual-wan failover code that actually works (based on mwan3)
  • no option to manually switch WAN connections (in order to test, or just switched if wished)

2. no 19V "mini-UPS" for ASUS routers, if ASUS power adapter could have "Standard power supply" and "Premium version of supply" as with battery add-on for battery backup, something like this https://www.powerwalker.com/?lang=en&page=product&item=10120431 it would have advantage over competition, less down-time (better up-time) etc.

this feature would be far more comfortable than having UPS in setup, particularly due to short backup time - double conversion: wall-socket -> UPS (AC-DC-AC) -> Asus powersupply (AC-DC) before finally reaching -> router

I have tried to reach ASUS support few times and asked them to forward this to product improvement department (R&D?) and developers team (firmware coders) but there is no feedback, if anyone has ability to contact some of Asus guys directly, I could provide longer list of bugs found in Asus firmware

Merlin is doing great job by making firmware better (more usable) but ASUS is behind with fixing issues for few years already.

Thank you for your time & effort :)

For point 2:
Keep in mind these are consumer grade routers. If you want features such as UPS support, look for business routers.

I dislike built-in UPSes. UPS have a limited life, and you almost always also have a modem next to your router in need of protection. Best to get a real UPS to cover them both.

DualWan work quite ok for me with Huawei E3372

it depends what do you use for primary WAN (DHCP or PPPoE), but DualWAN fail-over is not working fine
I am using Huawei E3372 LTE USB stick as well (modem version, not hi-link version)
post your DualWAN fail-over configuration (screenshot)

Have an Asus router at home on an APC UPS and two RT-AC68U in a business on another APC UPS with the Zoneminder server. The only time the business system was down is when a squirrel chewed through a hi voltage line and shut all the power down on a Saturday night. Electrician fixed it Monday morning. Otherwise the Asus routers are performing as well as a more costly commercial router!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Hello everybody,

I would like to hear, what features do you miss with your ASUS routers, what features are not working properly...
Thank you for your time & effort :)

AI Cloud 2.0 Smart Sync with DropBox on latest Version 3.0.0.4.384.20308 does not work any longer. When you try to authenticate with your Google ID or even just any email id it says 3Prosync was retired sept 2017 and that Asus has been advised but has not acknowledged.. and of course the log in attempt goes to never never land and hangs. The failure happens at step 3 of these instructions Asus gives on the screen. http://asusnw-faq-en.blogspot.ca/2014/07/sync-setup-smart-sync-with-dropbox.html For the error see below:
upload_2018-2-4_14-57-4.png

Last edited:
it depends what do you use for primary WAN (DHCP or PPPoE), but DualWAN fail-over is not working fine
I am using Huawei E3372 LTE USB stick as well (modem version, not hi-link version)
post your DualWAN fail-over configuration (screenshot)
As i say, for me dual wan work ok. Primary Wan is PPPoE, secondary E3372 LTE
dwan_1.png

dwan_2.png

coldstandby.png

btw. Can You set autoconnect in E3372 settings ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!