What's new

ASUS RP-AC68U only using 2.4GHz Band in Bridge Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gollum

New Around Here
Hi, I've recently purchased an Asus RP-AC68U Repeater to work as a Media Bridge to get adequate Ethernet speed in my room upstairs. As the title suggests I' ve some issues in getting it to work properly.
So I've searched a little bit round and found this Forum and the articles about Asus. So I thought I give it a shot ;-)

The configuration of the Repeater works just fine and I can connect without problems to my Wifi.
(By the way why is the Web Interface site asking me twice to configure my Wifi. Is the first one for 2.4Ghz and the second one for 5GHz ?)
After the configuration is done the Web Interface shows me that bove Wifi Phys are Connected (If it's not there would be a red x). The log states the same.
Also I can see the connections in my Routers Web Interface (Fritzbox 7490). Both are established and show adequate Speed 5Ghz:700-950mbit/s 2.4Ghz:250mbit/s

BUT! This useless brick is only using the 2.4Ghz Band no matter what I do or how strong both Wifi Signals are.
I'm only getting max. 20MB/s on Ethernet. That's a joke !
In the last months I've used the Asus PCE-AC68 in my PC at the same spot with data rates up between 50-60MB/s on the 5GHz band only.

Why is it only using the 2.4Ghz band? Furthermore I thing it's supposed to use BOTH bands at the same time but it simply doesn't do it. It has connection to both bands but it's not utilising them properly even under load.
That's pretty frustrating.

Any body a suggestion why this is the case ?

EDIT: I've tried the stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.10513 and 3.0.0.4.382.40019 both with the same results.

Last edited:
Hi, I've recently purchased an Asus RP-AC68U Repeater to work as a Media Bridge to get adequate Ethernet speed in my room upstairs. As the title suggests I' ve some issues in getting it to work properly.
So I've searched a little bit round and found this Forum and the articles about Asus. So I thought I give it a shot ;-)

The configuration of the Repeater works just fine and I can connect without problems to my Wifi.
(By the way why is the Web Interface site asking me twice to configure my Wifi. Is the first one for 2.4Ghz and the second one for 5GHz ?)
After the configuration is done the Web Interface shows me that bove Wifi Phys are Connected (If it's not there would be a red x). The log states the same.
Also I can see the connections in my Routers Web Interface (Fritzbox 7490). Both are established and show adequate Speed 5Ghz:700-950mbit/s 2.4Ghz:250mbit/s

BUT! This useless brick is only using the 2.4Ghz Band no matter what I do or how strong both Wifi Signals are.
In the last months I've used the Asus PCE-AC68 in my PC at the same spot with data rates up between 50-60MB/s on the 5GHz band only.

Why is it only using the 2.4Ghz band? Furthermore I thing it's supposed to use BOTH bands at the same time but it simply doesn't do it. It has connection to both bands but it's not utilising them properly even under load.

EDIT: I've tried the stock Firmware 3.0.0.4.382.10513 and 3.0.0.4.382.40019 both with the same results.
I am not a user of the ASUS RP-AC68U Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Repeater so I went to ASUS for a manual to better understand the product. What I found was useless. However, in reading the overview for this product I realized that there could be ways to misconfigure this product to create the issue reported. Hopefully, someone else on this forum can provide better assistance.

Please refer to: https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RP-AC68U/overview/

maybe this could help:
disable 2G and make factory reset, connect again to main router and as there is no 2G it only can connect to 5G.
After all done and running enable 2G again on main router.

Hi Gollum

i posted this in response to another post, i had this issue it is because of the bad firmware and the inability of the settings for 5G to be saved and applied

Resolution:-

to resolve this i did a factory reset on the repeater and went through the Setup Wizard process again

It connected to both the 2,4G and 5G channels fine and was stable for 5 minutes

i enable both Telnet and SSH (Administration >> System) on the AC68U Repeater and connected into it on the ip 192.168.1.100 through command prompt using Telnet

Using the command nvram in the Telnet window it gave me the options

admin@RP-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram
usage: nvram [get name] [set name=value] [unset name] [erase] [show] [save file] [restore file] [fb_save file]
usage: nvram [save_ap file] [save_rp_2g file] [save_rp_5g file]
admin@RP-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

watching the Wifi Analyser app on my phone i could see the 5G channel bouncing around channels, when it hit channel 60 again i executed the following command

admin@RP-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram save_rp_5g rp_5g_savefile

this saves a bin file in the root directory of the AC68U Repeater with all the settings for the 5G on channel 60 on the repeater

I then run the command to restore the file i had just created

admin@RP-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram restore rp_5g_savefile

on doing this the 5G instantly connected to the correct channel i had set in the router and has stayed connected to it

i then run the following command

admin@RP-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram save RP_savefile

and created a backup of the whole AC68U settings

I then run the command

admin@RP-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# nvram restore RP_savefile

and voila, all my 2.4G and 5G settings are flashed over the bad setup of the Firmware and saved, this also restored internet to both 2.4G and 5G

I have contacted ASUS in relation to the bad firmware and how this issue is caused by it not saving and applying settings correctly

I will state that if ASUS has not fixed this issue in the future with future releases of Firmware that these steps will resolve connectivity issues

I hope this helps you resolve your problem

my 5G now sits happily on the network and displays as connected with no issues

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V7xTxXaLvPPGXUwcYBYSKbQJe3zW86UP

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!