What's new

ASUS RT-1900 Guest Wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSlinsky

New Around Here
I have an RT-1900 that i configured for a client of mine. It worked great. I was able to set up the wifi and add a guest network that couldn't get to any of the other devices on the network. So now that they recently installed a sonos speaker system on their back Patio/ outdoor bar. They were having issue's with an existing Belkin AP/Router that was installed by someone else. The Belkin was configured for AP mode. The issue is that when a guest would join that AP they would to get to anything on the lan. IE the sonos system and hijack it. I tried to configure a guest network on the belkin but it didn't work. So i brought another RT-1900 and set it up in AP mode and configured the Wifi network and then a guest Wifi network. However on the guest network i was still able to get to anything on the LAN. After doing some research this makes sense since the second RT-1900 wouldn't know what reference when in AP mode. So my question is there anyway that I can get this to work with the two RT-1900? What config would i have to do. I'm pretty good with Simple network setups but need a little help for this.

There's no way to isolate an access point that is plugged into one your Asus' LAN ports from the rest of the LAN.

Well there is, but you'd have to install a custom firmware on the router and setup port based VLANs.

EDIT: I suppose you could reconfigure the access point as a repeater and connect it to the router's guest network.

There's no way to isolate an access point that is plugged into one your Asus' LAN poforts from the rest of the LAN.

Well there is, but you'd have to install a custom firmware on the router and setup port based VLANs.

EDIT: I suppose you could reconfigure the access point as a repeater and connect it to the router's guest network.

I cant reconfigure as a repeater as I don't get the original wifi signal outside. its a brick building so the signal falls off a cliff once you walk out the door.

you could wait for new asus firmware with Aimesh and guest network support, but we dont know when this will be ...

So the current air mesh doesn’t support the guest network?
simply no (on nodes), but seems they planed it in a phase 2 possibly.

Maybe in the meantime you could use your belkin for guest access and connect it directly to modemrouter while your main router is configured in router-mode with double NAT.

Last edited: