What's new

Asus RT-68U AiMesh with Asus_Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cktechie

New Around Here
HI!
I have Asus RT-68U AiMesh (both Router and Node are 68U) with Asus_Merlin 384.15

I use my laptop connected over Ethernet to the Node and Observing the Node Internet / Network connection on the Node keeps dropping - that is - the Internet connection to any device connected on the Asus AIMesh Node loses internet access.

During this time, the Internet connection and access on AiMesh router works perfectly fine.

Only the AiMesh Node drops connections / loses connection.

Note: also tried updating to 384.16, same issue with it.

Is there anything i can try to fix this issue?

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks!

HI!
I have Asus RT-68U AiMesh (both Router and Node are 68U) with Asus_Merlin 384.15

I use my laptop connected over Ethernet to the Node and Observing the Node Internet / Network connection on the Node keeps dropping - that is - the Internet connection to any device connected on the Asus AIMesh Node loses internet access.

During this time, the Internet connection and access on AiMesh router works perfectly fine.

Only the AiMesh Node drops connections / loses connection.

Note: also tried updating to 384.16, same issue with it.

Is there anything i can try to fix this issue?

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks!

Wireless backhaul? Distance? Good values for it in the Wireless Log?

Reset the node before adding it to the AiMesh?

OE

Yes to the above, but I also struggled with a slightly unstable AiMesh node (wirelessly connected, but good signal levels) until I finally settled on the settings in these screenshots. Now the node can go many days without ever dropping the connection (I don't know how long yet, but it has been perfect for me). Note the fixed channel selection on both bands, but obviously check which ones have lowest interference and best bandwidth for your environment. The final piece of the puzzle for me was (oddly enough) going back to "Auto" connection type on the 2.4Ghz simple settings page, rather than specifically limiting it to N or otherwise. Pay close attention to the other tweaks to beamforming, MIMO, etc.. as well on both bands. These may look like (conservative) performance limiting selections, but in fact they work really, really well in the real world environment and seem to improve connection stability.
Screenshot_20200423-112511.png
Screenshot_20200423-112444.png
Screenshot_20200423-112322.png
Screenshot_20200423-112239.png

2 rooms away, about 90 to 100 ft

Those are big rooms!

90-100 ft for 68Us might be pushing it, depending on the path.

Find the 2.4 and 5.0 entries in the router Wireless Log that have MACs that likely belong to your wireless backhaul (of node MACS). Their RSSI, Tx, and Rx values will give you some idea as to how well your wireless backhaul is performing. There are also noise dBm values listed that will suggest what noise the router is detecting.

If you are using Auto channels, excessive channel changing could be disrupting the backhaul.

If you own a 100' Ethernet patch cord, you could wire the backhaul, set the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet, and then evaluate the system response to narrow down the problem.

OE

Yes to the above, but I also struggled with a slightly unstable AiMesh node (wirelessly connected, but good signal levels) until I finally settled on the settings in these screenshots. Now the node can go many days without ever dropping the connection (I don't know how long yet, but it has been perfect for me). Note the fixed channel selection on both bands, but obviously check which ones have lowest interference and best bandwidth for your environment. The final piece of the puzzle for me was (oddly enough) going back to "Auto" connection type on the 2.4Ghz simple settings page, rather than specifically limiting it to N or otherwise. Pay close attention to the other tweaks to beamforming, MIMO, etc.. as well on both bands. These may look like (conservative) performance limiting selections, but in fact they work really, really well in the real world environment and seem to improve connection stability.

I tend to believe that a wireless connection between two like routers ought to be happy with the default settings. I figure AiMesh at least ought to be able to configure it's own backhaul settings without the user having to try different things just to get the mesh to work.

OE

I tend to believe that a wireless connection between two like routers ought to be happy with the default settings. I figure AiMesh at least ought to be able to configure it's own backhaul settings without the user having to try different things just to get the mesh to work.

OE
I wish that was the case, but certainly fixed channels is a highly recommended addition in most use cases for long term connection stability. Just my two cents based on my experiences with AiMesh.

Those are big rooms!

90-100 ft for 68Us might be pushing it, depending on the path.

Find the 2.4 and 5.0 entries in the router Wireless Log that have MACs that likely belong to your wireless backhaul (of node MACS). Their RSSI, Tx, and Rx values will give you some idea as to how well your wireless backhaul is performing. There are also noise dBm values listed that will suggest what noise the router is detecting.

If you are using Auto channels, excessive channel changing could be disrupting the backhaul.

If you own a 100' Ethernet patch cord, you could wire the backhaul, set the node connection priority to wired/Ethernet, and then evaluate the system response to narrow down the problem.

OE

2 rooms away, with total distance between AIMesh Node and AIMesh Router is 90 to 100 ft

I might be over-exaggerating, it may be less than 70 ft

Also, using the wireless backhaul since I cannot run the wired connection,

If you are using Auto channels,
OE

Found the entries for the AIMesh Node:

upload_2020-4-23_12-28-55.png

Also using Auto Channels

Do these look good?

Do you suggest I do the same settings mentioned in your screenshots, please let me know.

I am on calls most of the day, and the AIMesh node dropping connections puts me in soup, Zoom meetings hung :( and want to get this resolved!

Those are good, presumably those are the values for the 5Ghz side. You should also find another set of readings on the same page for the 2.4Ghz side, as in my experience the AiMesh system uses both to keep the connection up. Generally these show up on these lists as missing an IP address (even though they do have one assigned, just a quirk of AiMesh).
I'll say it once more, try fixed channels on both, 20Mhz bandwidth on 2.4Ghz side, 80Mhz bandwidth on the 5Ghz side, airtime fairness disabled on both, universal beamforming disabled (both), explicit beamforming enabled (both), and MIMO disabled. Works for me...

Do you suggest I do the same settings mentioned in your screenshots, please let me know.

I am on calls most of the day, and the AIMesh node dropping connections puts me in soup, Zoom meetings hung :( and want to get this resolved!
Yes, my suggestion is to mimic my settings as shown in the screenshots, or at a minimum follow the outlined settings I followed up with in my second reply above. Again, this is what works for me, after similar struggling to get AiMesh stable.

By the way, I would also suggest a full power off/on restart on both the main router and the node after applying my suggested settings to make sure they propagate out to the node ASAP.

Multi-User MIMO appears on the 5Ghz Professional settings page on my 86U main router, perhaps it doesn't exist on the 68U page, it's been a while since I have seen that version as mine is used as a node now. Let me know how these settings work out for you.

I wish that was the case, but certainly fixed channels is a highly recommended addition in most use cases for long term connection stability. Just my two cents based on my experiences with AiMesh.

Fixed channels I can agree with.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!