What's new

ASUS RT-68U Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phydeauxman

Occasional Visitor
I have had this router for 4 years now and for the most part...it has been pretty awesome. It has had one issue though that has started to occur more often and it is driving me crazy. It will completely stop working and the only way to get working again is to power cycle it. There is no visible indication that anything is wrong but all networking ceases to function. I have a 24 port switch that I plug into it and then most everything else plugs into that but when it stops working, wireless does not work and I can even plug right into the router itself and nothing. I run the Merlin firmware on it and have kept it up to date pretty regularly but this issue has happened over many versions of the firmware. I hate to replace the router with a new one on chance it might be something else but I am not sure what else it could be. Sometimes it will goes days, weeks, or even months without happening and sometimes I will have to restart it 5 times in a day.

Any other ideas?

The exact same thing happened to me. I tried all kinds of resets and firmwares but nothing helped. I finally bought a new 88U.

Replaced the power supply and the problem is still happening. I guess it is time to replace the unit. Just trying to decide if I should just get another 68 or step up to one of the newer models. I am not unhappy with the features/performance of the 68...just that it keep needing to be rebooted. One thing I don't have that I wish I had was the ability to create multiple VLANs off of the router. Would love to have all of my entertainment gear (TiVo's Xboxes) on a different VLAN from my work equipment.

Before you decide on the 68U check out the new 86U for only $50 more. It's a beast. If you do decide to go the 68U route the 1900P from Best Buy will get you the upgraded processor at 1.4 GHz vs 1.o on the 68U.

Before you decide on the 68U check out the new 86U for only $50 more. It's a beast. If you do decide to go the 68U route the 1900P from Best Buy will get you the upgraded processor at 1.4 GHz vs 1.o on the 68U.

The 86U looks nice but it does not appear to be for sale yet either. Can't find it on Amazon or Best Buy.