What's new

Asus RT-88U or Netgear R7000 as ap

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ndmick

New Around Here
I`m going to be setting up an ap in my work shop(metal building 100` from house),I do have both cat5e and cat 6 cable run to shop.Also I have an Asus RT-88U and a Netgear R7000 router at my disposal.Just trying to figure which would be better used as main or ap?Pluses and minus of the two? Any help would be appreciated.

My experience has been that so long as you keep ASUS gear cool enough (I use a product made by AC Infinity for this job since it runs on USB power from the router) it performs very well and reliably. I don't have personal experience with the AC88U, however the listed specs are faster than the R7000 (AC3100 vs AC1900), and I've been happy with my own ASUS router purchases.

Arguably unless your workshop is very large you could just use the AC88U as your sole router out there.

Is this about which router you should have in your home and which you should have in your shop?
I would have used the Asus-router as the main router connected to my internet connection, and then ran the R7000 in AP-mode in the shop. I earlier used a RT-AC3200 as my main router at home, and running the R7000 in AP-mode to get coverage all over my house.

Since then I have replaced the R7000. I still use the RT-AC3200 as a main router, but with wifi disabled - then I use Googles WiFi to get mesh, so that clients don't get "stuck" to the AP they first was connected to when I move them around the house (earlier I often had to manually switch between the networks, even if there was a huge difference in signal strength).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!