What's new

Asus rt ac 3100+hard drive, stream movies to non smart tv

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yycwrangler

New Around Here
As mentioned above, I have the Asus rt ac 3100 with an attached hard drive. I have a non smart tv and wish to stream the movies from the hard drive, attached to the router, to the tv. Is there any media streamers that allow me to do this (roku, Apple TV, google etc).

Thank in advance
Al

One app that will stream your movies is WinTV v8 from Hauppauge. The main reasons I am suggesting it is because it is very easy to set up, and cost is low at $9.95.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/webstore2/webstore_cd-wintvv8.html
There are other free apps that will stream for you, like MediaPortal and Kodi, but setup can be challenging.
I am currently running WinTV v8. My main use is for recording and playback of OTA TV, but it also does a fine job of streaming archived movies.

Thank you for that link..I will have a look at it today. I still would like to consider a plug in unit that I connect to my tv and stream video from the router/hard drive to the tv. my tv does have hdmi. I'm ok with paying a couple of hundred dollars to ensure smooth and accurate streaming

You're probably going to need one of those small TV sticks which are actually a small computer that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Once you have that in place, you could connect an ethernet cable from your router to your TV stick and run WinTV v8 or something similar to stream the movies.

There's a pretty good Android device that may help you. It streams much more then just movies. It has a huge library of all sorts of content. And it's really easy to set up and use. I got it about a month ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Take a look. Hope you'll find what you need.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!